Starving Student PCB board
Jan 25, 2011 at 3:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

yuyu224

New Head-Fier
Hey guys. I'm thinking of building the millet hybrid or the starving student tube amp. I can find places that have parts list and directions, but i just can't find where the PCB boards for these are being sold. Does anyone know where i could find one?
Also, should i buy a case or attempt to use a metal box lying around.
Thanks guys!

Feb 4, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks. Decided to try P2P since it seemed simple enough. I have another question though. Would any 7 pin tube socket work for the starving student? The parts list says SKT 7 M1, and i'm not sure what the M1 means. Also, what tubes should i use? Would the 19J6 be a good start?

Feb 5, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #4 of 8
No more PCB's are available.

Unless you find some 19J6 sitting around, your going to need to go 9 pin and 17EW8 or similar.

This is the schematic for the 9 pin version.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/319231/millett-starving-student-hybrid-amp/4950#post_6459299

The only real substitution from the original parts list (besides any of the optional stuff.) is the 390omh resistors in R2 & R8.

This is the current parts list I have on order for mine.  I subbed 63volts 470uF 20% general caps for the audio ones suggested because they were back orderd.  Not saying it's all correct, but I had a hell of a time figuring out what I needed and what I didn't from the 370 page thread :)

http://www.evilmonkeymedia.com/dl/SSamp.htm

Feb 5, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
hmm thanks for the info. I've seen 19J6 tubes on sale at ebay though. Are those legit?

I'm sure they are. There's nothing special about the 19J6, though - the only reason Pete Millett used them in his original design is because at the time they were dirt cheap and plentiful (~$2 apiece). Now, since you're doing P2P anyway, you may as well swap out a few parts for the 12AU7, 17EW8, or 12SR7 versions.

Feb 5, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
Ah I see. Then for those 12AU7 tubes, what kind of a socket do you need? Sorry I'm a novice at this DIY stuff. Think i can figure out the schematics though

Yes, the 12AU7 has nine pins, so requires a nine pin socket (aka noval). You'd likely want a chassis mount socket, not PCB mount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back