[Starving Student] DAC to go with SSMH amp
Aug 24, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #7 of 14
you have to use surface mount parts for the grubdac. the dac chips are very very sensitive and the added impedance and capacitance of the leads and length of components in general will make the chips very unstable.

if you want a mostly through hole diy dac you could check out the amb gamma 1 or 2. if i remember correctly the only surface mount parts are the chips themselves. but your not going to find a diy dac that has a dip packaged chips. not sure if they even make those

Aug 24, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #8 of 14
I was mainly joking but i understand the issues that it would bring.

I found this 20$ DAC on eBay, Not Very DIY but it is cheap. LINK

To be honest I would prefer a DIY alternative, do we get good result "Printing" PCBs or is it better to just buy one?

Any recommended tutorials on Printing PCBs?

Aug 24, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
I was mainly joking but i understand the issues that it would bring.

I found this 20$ DAC on eBay, Not Very DIY but it is cheap. LINK

To be honest I would prefer a DIY alternative, do we get good result "Printing" PCBs or is it better to just buy one?

Any recommended tutorials on Printing PCBs?

If you look on youtube there should be plenty of tutorials.

I will document my steps once I start on my ss tube amp pcb

Aug 24, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #11 of 14
a DIY PCB for those surface mount DAC chips is going to be pretty heroic ! 
I can recomend the Grub DAC also, its a fun build and the quality is great. It might also be a good starting point to see if you wanted to try a DIY PCB for a DAC.
Now, I think you will want to look into some switching !  The Starving Student does not play nice with DAC's at all !  Read up on that.

Aug 24, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #12 of 14
You are right! Thanks for pointing it out.

I have read 3 thread ans so far people are complaining but no real fix was found.

Thats to bad, i really dont want to plug my futur amp in my macbooks headphone jack.

I guess it cant be helped.

Aug 24, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #13 of 14

Quote:
You are right! Thanks for pointing it out.

I have read 3 thread ans so far people are complaining but no real fix was found.

Thats to bad, i really dont want to plug my futur amp in my macbooks headphone jack.

I guess it cant be helped.

AFAIK, we haven't really had a report yet of a GrubDAC getting fried from a Starving Student.  Still - caution is advised.  jamesbobo007's statement, "The Starving Student does not play nice with DAC's at all !" sums things up pretty well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back