Starving for the Sake of Hi-Fi. Is it Worth It?
Feb 12, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #32 of 46
Arc6 posted:

Quote:
So, as a poor college student, I am typically broke after I have paid my rent, bills, groceries, etc. But, I know someone who is offering to sell me a used, but good condition Technics SL-1200MK2 turntable with a Shure cartridge, Technics headshell, and road case for a total of $275. I actually can scrap the money together in my pursuit of analog HiFi, which I really want to get in to, but here's the catch: no groceries (or beer) for a week. That means I will have to subsist off of 10 eggs, 8 cans of soup and beans, and rice for 9 days until I get my next pay check. The question I pose, is do you think it's a good enough deal for the TT, and whether it's worth it?

The short answer must be YES.
If you have to ask, you aren't committed enough to your hifi pursuits. This is evident by you starting this thread.
If you say NO, then you will always regret not having taken the plunge.
So, logically, YES is the only valid answer, and sorry about your wallet..............

Feb 12, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #33 of 46
As mentioned earlier, when a hobby starts eating into basic subsistence, that's a bit of a concern. As tempting as the offer is, I would say the cost is too high. Maybe you'll get away with it this time, but you'll have set a dangerous precedent. The next time a deal comes up you'll think, "Hmm, well I did it once, maybe I can do it again." And, before you know it, you'll be cutting it finer and finer. I would never want to be in a situation where I had my dream audio system but was otherwise completely miserable because I'd sacrificed a bunch of basic necessities to get there. If it were just beer, I'd say go for it (but then, I'm not much of a beer drinker, so that would be easy for me). But food? Nah, that's a bridge too far, IMO.

EDIT: I noticed after I posted that 12345142 mentioned the Maslow Pyramid. I was going to mention that myself, but I'm glad I didn't because I didn't see it before. Yeah, basic physiological needs must be met before you ascend the pyramid. You'd be amazed how quickly you start wondering how many cans of tuna fish a pair of, say, HD650 might fetch if you've gone off food for a few weeks to pay for them.

Feb 12, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #34 of 46
wrestle someone for food
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #35 of 46
If you're not putting your general health in any danger and you really want the kit then I say go for it. I'm fairly sure that students have lived off far less in the past.

I just get the feeling that if you pass this up you'll be regretting it for a long time.

Feb 12, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #36 of 46
Sell some stuff on ebay or get some food from your friends.  Either that or snip some coupons and get cheap stuff from a supermarket.  The amount of food you listed doesn't seem to be enough to last a whole week.

Feb 12, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #37 of 46
Get the turntable and buy ramen noodles like any smart starving student does!  Egg drop ramen noodle soup!  That sounds pretty good actually.  
biggrin.gif

Tough it out like a man!  It'll be worth it.

Feb 12, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #39 of 46

Quote:
Hell I eat that now and I'm way past my college years.

I say grab the deal while you can.

Same here!  Spend your money on the things that make you happy.  

I went and got eggs and Ramen noodles and paid for a DNA Sonnet amp.  Hah!

Feb 12, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #41 of 46
Maslow's pyramid, Sh-maslow's sh-myra-sh-mid.

I plan to go ahead and save the money I would spend on groceries. I am sure my friends will keep me from starving. But, the guy who made me the offer is a total d-bag. It's not like he's doing me a favor for selling me a TT for close to $300. So I don't feel like giving him my money. Instead, I found a pawn shop selling a Technics SL-1200M3D (upgrade to MK2) with cartridge for the same money.

I'll post later to let everyone know of my success story. 

Feb 13, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #44 of 46

I'll sell you the movie rights "post-homuously" (wink, wink) for a Technics rig. And, under the condition that you have Mark Wahlberg play me.

Quote:
Quote:
I'll post later to let everyone know of my success story. 

It would make a good movie if you died... something to keep in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back