Startup time... 0 for zen?
Feb 17, 2004 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

KandieMan

Head-Fier
I was talking to my friend today who owns the Creative Jukebox Zen (20gb). He said his starts up instantly, definitely within 2 seconds.

Recent reading had be believe that all HD players do take time to start up (and this makes sense), which is about 10 seconds or so? This of course excludes the iPod which never actually turns off.

Why would an older Zen have no startup time, but a newer model (ie iHP-120) take time to start up?

Feb 17, 2004 at 10:20 PM Post #2 of 9
The Zen doesn't actually turn off untill 24 hours (thought I've heard they changed it to 18 in the xtra + nx) and so it boots up practically instantly (no EAX boot logo etc). If it's been off for longer than that, you've removed the battery or used the reset switch bootup takes a little bit longer (and the time it takes probably varies depending on how full your hd is) but is very quick (I'd guess about 4-5 secs, but it's been ages since I've done a cold boot :p).

Feb 17, 2004 at 11:04 PM Post #3 of 9
When you power up a Zen that has completely shut down (off for more than 24 hours...it might be 18 hours on Zen Xtra), it'll take a few seconds to start up (10-15 secs) and you'll see the start-up logo (it comes with a default logo that can be changed).

When you power up a Zen that is in sleep mode (has not been off for more than 24 hours), the Zen powers up almost instantly (2-3 secs) and it goes directly to the main menu or the now playing screen. It bypasses the start-up logo entirely.

wink.gif

Feb 17, 2004 at 11:22 PM Post #4 of 9
Okay.. so the Zen basically does exact same thing as the iPod? Never completely turns off?

Does the iHP-120 have a feature similar to this, where if i plan on turning it back on within (say.. the hour?) i can put it into a sleep mode instead of OFF?

Feb 17, 2004 at 11:29 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by KandieMan
Okay.. so the Zen basically does exact same thing as the iPod? Never completely turns off?

The Zen does completely shut down after an 18-24 hour hibernation (sleep mode) period.

tongue.gif

Feb 18, 2004 at 11:46 PM Post #8 of 9
I will note that the NJB3 only has a 1-hour sleep cycle before it needs to go though the full 7 second bootup again. Makes sense to me.

Feb 18, 2004 at 11:51 PM Post #9 of 9
The NJB's out on loan right now but I think mine sleeps for less before it needs a full boot. It's no worse than the iRiver iMP for start-up so I'm not that bothered but sometimes I did wonder why sometimes it comes back up straight away and at other times it goes through a full boot. Thanks for clearing that up... I'll remember that hour sleep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back