Startling discovery
Jan 22, 2006 at 7:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Superpredator

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm not sure whether this would fit under amp or headphone discussion forums, but I made a startling discovery tonight.

I used Q-tips to drizzle some hydrogen peroxide into each of my ear canals, then proceeded to let the juice bubble and pop in there for several minutes. It felt just a little uncomfortable, but a few hours later they're dry and Lord G. the difference in sound is incredible.

Since I've always done my critical listening with whatever wax was stalagmiting in my ears for the past year or so, it's difficult to determine just how different the sound is, but there was definitely a mild to moderate veiling of the sound before I did the cleaning. Highs aren't ever-so-slightly rounded off like before, and mids seem to bloom with a little more fullness. Bass is left untouched I'd say, although possibly a little tighter and more controlled and maybe just a tad punchier, with more oomph.

The Corda Aria and DT880 make a pretty neutral and transparent combination, but I'd say the transparency is more clear. If the pre-wax-removal transparency was like looking through clean, crystal-clear glass with maybe the tiniest tiniest bit of residue, then transparency post wax removal is like looking through nothing at all, like looking through pure air with 30/20 vision.

In retrospect, after cleaning out both ears and hearing what I'm pretty sure is a huge difference, I wish I had cleaned only one ear first, so I could perform A-B comparisons of wax on / wax off and really nail down just how dramatic the difference is. Maybe next year.

Jan 22, 2006 at 9:56 AM Post #2 of 28
Now this is what I call a great (real) headphone modification.

YES.....
etysmile.gif

Jan 22, 2006 at 10:35 AM Post #3 of 28
That's great that your hearing is now improved! Someone else here said putting hydrogen peroxide in your ear is not healthy for them. I don't know if that's true or not. I know some people recommend olive oil. Do we have anybody who knows or can point out a source for info? I'd like to try cleaning mine out as well.

Jan 22, 2006 at 11:48 AM Post #4 of 28
I keep meaning to clean my ears out. I think I keep them pretty clean, but how can you really tell whats back in there. Glad you were able to do this!

Jan 22, 2006 at 2:23 PM Post #5 of 28
Hydrogen Peroxide is not healthy because:

* it dries out the ear canal and the tympanic membrane
* it doesnt "melt" the wax - makes it brittle and dry

The results can be quite painful over a period of time. Use products designed to do this. Usually the agent will be mixed with a synthetic lubricant to coagulate the messy wax. Murine is a product that comes to mind.

The lubricant also prevents infection with water. Water coming into contact with the dry skin (hydrogen peroxide) will cause infection. The lubricant is an oil so water doesnt come into contact with the tissue...only flushes out the wax.

Dont repeat this procedure too often - once every two weeks should be enough...the perception of "improved hearing" is because of having a fluid in the ear. Just like "rinsing" the noise gives you the perception of enhanced air-flow.

GS

Jan 22, 2006 at 2:42 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by chickennuggets
i clean my ears every day, after shower. do people not do that?? friggin weird
blink.gif

You mean with a Q-Tip?
smily_headphones1.gif

If you're using a Q-Tip - you're not cleaning your ears...just setting yourself up for bigger problems later on.

Jan 22, 2006 at 2:43 PM Post #8 of 28
Yeah, the earwax removers use carbamide peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide would be harmful. Also, like GS said, occasional cleaning. Not all the time.

Jan 22, 2006 at 2:45 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

You mean with a Q-Tip?

If you're using a Q-Tip - you're not cleaning your ears...just setting yourself up for bigger problems later on.

What? care to elaborate? im all about avoiding problems

Jan 22, 2006 at 2:46 PM Post #10 of 28
Yeah Q-Tips aren't really recommended. The way the external ear canal is it's meant to be self cleaning for the majority of people. This means old wax is pushed out from near the tympanic membrane more towards the pinna naturally. If you feel you're suffering from some conductive hearing loss see a ENT physician.

Jan 22, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #11 of 28
This is the right advise. Don't go cheap with your hearing. See the Doctor.

This is not an advertisement or a solisitation...
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
Yeah Q-Tips aren't really recommended. The way the external ear canal is it's meant to be self cleaning for the majority of people. This means old wax is pushed out from near the tympanic membrane more towards the pinna naturally. If you feel you're suffering from some conductive hearing loss see a ENT physician.

Jan 22, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator
I'm not sure whether this would fit under amp or headphone discussion forums, but I made a startling discovery tonight.

I used Q-tips to drizzle some hydrogen peroxide into each of my ear canals, then proceeded to let the juice bubble and pop in there for several minutes. It felt just a little uncomfortable, but a few hours later they're dry and Lord G. the difference in sound is incredible.

Since I've always done my critical listening with whatever wax was stalagmiting in my ears for the past year or so, it's difficult to determine just how different the sound is, but there was definitely a mild to moderate veiling of the sound before I did the cleaning. Highs aren't ever-so-slightly rounded off like before, and mids seem to bloom with a little more fullness. Bass is left untouched I'd say, although possibly a little tighter and more controlled and maybe just a tad punchier, with more oomph.

The Corda Aria and DT880 make a pretty neutral and transparent combination, but I'd say the transparency is more clear. If the pre-wax-removal transparency was like looking through clean, crystal-clear glass with maybe the tiniest tiniest bit of residue, then transparency post wax removal is like looking through nothing at all, like looking through pure air with 30/20 vision.

In retrospect, after cleaning out both ears and hearing what I'm pretty sure is a huge difference, I wish I had cleaned only one ear first, so I could perform A-B comparisons of wax on / wax off and really nail down just how dramatic the difference is. Maybe next year.

Oh man, I can see it now.

Some PT Barnum-like businessman will come along and see this thread and start marketing ear cleaning solutions for audiophiles and headphone enthusiasts. It will cost 20 dollars per bottle (but in reality, it is the same ingredients as you would find in a low cost ear cleaning solution - about 5 cents worth of ingredients).

Then people would buy into it, and it will make a lot of money for PT. Then a bunch of other manufacturers will jump on the band wagon. Before you know it, there will be entire threads here at Head-Fi where people will argue that their audiophile ear cleaning solution is better than brand X's ear cleaning solution.

Customer A:
"My brand 'Y' ear cleaning solution improves bass response, and really brings the mids alive".

Customer B:
"Well I think brand 'Y' ear cleaning solution sucks because it makes the music sound veiled, I prefer brand 'X' ear cleaning solution. It makes it feel like you are sitting there, right on stage with the musicians!".

Customer A:
"Yeah but brand 'X' ear cleaning solution is shrill, and it causes severe listening fatigue. Also, brand 'X' is VERY uncomfortable to apply when compared to brand 'Y's' application process."

Customer C:
"Neither of you guys know what you are talking about, ear cleaning solution is just 'snake oil', it doesn't do a damn thing to improve any aspect of how your music sounds".

Customer A:
"..."

Customer B:
"..."

Customer A and B at the same time:
"Get lost you idiot! I bet you never even tried an audiophile ear cleaning solution. How could you possibly have the cahones to come in here and say something like that without ever even trying the solution?"

And then the thread continues on with the dabate for 126 pages...

biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #13 of 28
really amusing.

Jan 22, 2006 at 5:27 PM Post #15 of 28
Put your insurance to use. A $10 copay covers a $200 visit to the ENT Doc. Have people who can actually look inside your ear clean it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back