Starting with Audio technica ATH M50X - notice a cracking sound when guitar plays sometimes.
Jan 2, 2015 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

badburn

New Head-Fier
Hi, this is my first post on Head fi, I am not professional or audiophile so I guess I don't know the terms to describe many things. But I do like music very much & I believe I have good ear to evaluate good music. I personally don't like loud music, but I do listen to Any type of music as long as it's quality music, mostly classical, hindi songs, music from Yanni, Enya, Mozart ... etc... I don't rely on the bass that much, but for some music prefer bass a lill, not a basshead I guess. 

I got my ATH M50X like 4 days ago. I already have downloaded some flac music to listen to through the headphones, & 320 kbps mp3. Although I didn't experience any greatness about the headphones in the beginning moving from my sennheiser cx300ii precision, I started to notice the balance & greatness after getting used to it. Now I hear the great detail, M50X presents & the sounds that I've never heard in my music & I love it. Also, I tried to identify any differences between 128 kbps & flac, found the sounds are clearer & with no distortions. Right now I just love my headphones & am enjoying them to the maximum. 
I can say they gave me new ears. 

I am not a guy who listens to music very loud, mostly it's around 40%, But yesterday I started to notice there is a small vibrating sound of diaphrem or I may say cracking sound when high pitched flute played, with mp3, bit rate was around 320 variable bit rate. I considered it as a mp3 fault & marked it, but yesterday I was listening to flac Simon & garfunkel - The sound of silence & at the begining of the song when the guitar part starts to play, I hear a small vibration, it is kind of a distortion. Can hear it only if paid attention very carefully. I got same kind of vibration on flute - the track was "Kuch kuch hota hai" movie song, at the midle of it the flute gets distorted, very slightly.

I am using my toshiba mini laptop to play the songs, the volume level seems pretty ok, the only problem I have is this disturbing sound. My question is, is it a sound card fault ? or problem of my headphones ? or the track I am playing ? Note, I am not noticing the same problem in other tracks. 

* I wanna add something to this, My cousin just listened to this one & said, his friend has a cheaper JBL headphone which feels more live, I also find that ATH M50X lacks liveness. What am I missing here, can anyone please explain ? JBL model is also a closed back design by the way. Will I get live with an open air design ? 

Thanks in advance. 

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #2 of 4
I'm only going to address your last paragraph about your cousin's comment. Everyone has different tastes and opinions. Don't worry about what someone else says they like or don't like - it really doesn't matter. What they hear and what you hear can be different, and that's OK. You have no idea if he was listening at the same volume on the JBL as he was on your headphones, or if it was the same songs, or the same recordings, or what was being used to drive the headphones. Heck, how long ago did he hear the JBL? our memories for such comparisons are very short. "Lively" sometimes really means "less accurate" - maybe your cousin just likes more boom and sizzle that would come from the typical V-shaped headphone. That's fine if he does - but it doesn't make the JBL "better" than the ATH-M50X - just different.

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the reply, He actually listened to music on his phone, which were fast music nowadays, I find it hard to enjoy modern day fast music without lots of bass actually.In order to enjoy them, must increase bass on equalizer. May be that's what he was saying. But listening to concert event's of Yanni I got a dead feeling with no eq change. After adjusting the wow effect on windows media player and true bass effect with some equalizer it gets a punchy live feeling. May be with sennheiser hd 598 or something open back design, will I be able to get the artists on stage ? Not rejecting the M50X actually, just for the knowledge. 

Jan 3, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #4 of 4
Closing the thread, found out an answer, checked the same tracks with my senheisers, found the same sounds. Must be a fault in either the track or the sound card. thanks. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back