Starting to learn the play the guitar..?
Mar 5, 2009 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

warcarrot

New Head-Fier
Hello! I have decided to learn how to play the guitar! I don't know if I should start with acoustic or electric? I hear acoustic hurts less on the fingers, but I already have kinda callouses from playing the violin for a really long time. And I also read that acoustic is better to learn the 'basic's. But I like electric lol.. and I heard it was easier to play at first.. so what should I get? Also, I am not buying a guitar I am going to borrow one from a friend.

And since I am teaching myself, I know how to read music, what should I learn from? instruction books? tabs, the internet?
I am so excited!

Mar 5, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #2 of 8
Typically acoustics are harder on the fingers because the strings are thicker.

Electrics are easier to play but also easier to get sloppy and build bad technique on. Acoustics are the opposite. Of course I'm really generalizing here.

I would start off learning first position chords and scales. Use tabs to build on that and put the chords and scales to good use. Since you have some musical training already this shouldn't be too hard.

I'm glad you're excited. Just remember at first a new instrument is hard, and will many times sound like crap while you're building your technique. Just keep practicing and you will get better and better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #3 of 8
Was browsing the forums and thought I'd contribute.

Definitely start learning on an acoustic, it forces you to learn proper posture and fingering whereas electric tends to introduce bad habits more easily.

The fact that you already play violin stands you in good stead for learning guitar - you'll know what's expected of you if you really want to take guitar seriously (and not just play a bunch of chords and crappy covers
ksc75smile.gif
)

I started off with an instruction book to get the basics of chords, scales and different styles. You'll probably be spending most of your time practising chord fingerings but practice makes perfect!

Enjoy!

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #4 of 8
Perhaps you might get an electric acoustic? Then you can always plug it in and annoy the neighbors...
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by _j_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps you might get an electric acoustic? Then you can always plug it in and annoy the neighbors...
biggrin.gif

if you have the money, buy an acoustic guitar and have a pickup installed

Mar 8, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #7 of 8
+1 for acoustic. There's only so much you can do with an acoustic, so you'll spend more time focusing on playing smoothly as opposed to messing with effects, soloing, and all the other stuff that comes with an electric. And if you do finally make the switch to electric, you'll be able to instantly shred. Or so they say. I've only played acoustic for a couple years.

But don't feel you need to have 'perfect' form and technique like what a classical teacher would preach. There are lots of different ways to play a chord, but in the end it's still a chord. Everybody's got their own style. I almost always play with my thumb over the top to mute the E and A strings, which is a mortal sin as far as classical technique goes, but Neil Young and John Frusciante play like that, just to name a couple, so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back