Starting Point for DIY Speaker Amp
Dec 8, 2006 at 10:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

cgrums

100+ Head-Fier
So I've cut my teeth on a smattering of DIY headphone amps (CMOYs, PIMETAs and a Millett Hybrid) and am hooked. I've currently got a couple larger headphone amps in queue to start building (PPAV2 & Dynahi) as well as a few Alien DAC boards so I'm covered on future projects for headphone amps.

I've recently taken an interest in the idea of building my own speakers and eventually pre-amps / amplifiers. I've found a plethora of guides and info for building speakers so I'm covered there...I'm not having the best of luck with the speaker amp info. I've found diyaudio.com, diyparadise.com, decibeldungeon.com and others but don't really have a good idea of where to start. I was hoping there'd be something to get me familiar with the difference in terminology and design approach when dealing with the bigger stuff but am not having so much luck finding it.

My intentions are to start out with a decent pair of 2-way bookshelf monitors and amp to run off my emu 1212m. I'd then like to move on to a sub to add to that combo and eventually I'd like to build a set of towers to replace my JBLs.

Where would you guys recommend me starting as far as building the amplifiers?

Dec 8, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #3 of 3
You could modify a M^3 into a speaker amp or wait for the beta 22 amp to come out as well. They should be well-documented on AMB's website (or will be, when the beta 22 website is complete).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back