Starting over - and the future of music player platforms
Oct 30, 2014 at 1:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

qveda

100+ Head-Fier
This gets a bit philosophical, bear with me.

I find myself at an interesting decision point in the midst of great change in the music playback technology.   I've been a lifelong audiophile, but had to sell all my 2channel gear 20yrs ago. With some luck, and good karma, I hope to dive back in to high-end audio, probably beginning with a portable and desktop setup.

I have mostly been listening to music during my long commutes on satellite radio and  my ipod classic gen4  tapped into the aux input of my car stereo.   But my iPod just died (no audio),  briefly came back to life after a factory rest, then slipped back into a coma, I will need some new device to replace it.   So I'm now at the very beginning (of spending money) on what I hope will be a new journey into the future of high end audio. 

But as I contemplate what to replace my ipod with, I struggle a bit since we are in the midst of such large shifts. What does it even mean to define a music player anymore ?   Do I go 'old school' and just get another ipod (a used classic?  or new touch?) - business as usual with itunes?   or start to change the way I think about a source device ?  Spotify, Tidal, Pono? 

Curious to know, if you were starting from scratch today, what would your strategy be?    Not the case for me yet, but lets just say that you could start with $1000 and could go up to $10,000 in the next year or two.  

Here is a great article to get you thinking: 
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2014/09/ipod-dead-whats-future-dedicated-players-music-collections/

-Qua

Nov 5, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 2

Curious to know, if you were starting from scratch today, what would your strategy be?    Not the case for me yet, but lets just say that you could start with $1000 and could go up to $10,000 in the next year or two.  

-Qua

A lot depends upon what your source material is - do you have a lot of CDs, do you have vinyl or is everything already on a computer. Then what equipment do you have - headphones, speakers, amps...

If you're truly starting with nothing then get a decent DAP and headphones to start

Fiio X5 or Pono and a set of headphones that suit your listening preferences and budget 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back