Starting over, $100 on ear headphones
Dec 14, 2011 at 3:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Matt V

New Head-Fier
This place is a curse. I bought a set of Crossfade LP's for $150 and while I like them I think they aren't what I'm looking for. It seems an on-ear headphone is the way to go for what I plan on using them for. Going to sell these and dedicate $100 for earphones and $50 for IEM's. Here is the criteria:

- $100 price range
- On ear headphones
- Small or mid size portability
- Lightweight or midweight but solid feel
- Good build quality
- Comfortable
- Detachable cable
- Decent/good sound isolation (for use in public when needed)
- Good clarity
- Strong highs (for rock, punk, acoustic, etc)
- Neutral mids
- Strong, punchy bass (even maybe boomy (but not muddy) on some dubstep/hip hop songs)

- Good with portable devices but also good with portable amps (probably going to get a micro CMOY)

I hope this helps with what I'm looking for. I'm willing to go up in price maybe another $20 if the pair justifies it.

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #3 of 9
Used Senneheiser HD25 1-ii would be the best. It is almost exactly the headphone you described. If you can't wait that long, and believe me I understand. Go pick up a set of Koss DJ100s from Best Buy and give them a try. Many say they're among the best out of the box in that price range for sealed cans. Keep them tidy and take them back if you don't like them.

Dec 27, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #9 of 9
Ultrasone HFI580
Beyerdynamic DT770

I'm in the market for basically the same headphones as the ones in your description. But I haven't committed to purchasing anything yet. Those are just what I have narrowed it down to in my research here. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back