starting out with Grado SR60s or SR80s
Aug 29, 2004 at 7:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

stet

100+ Head-Fier
I think I'm about to do it and get my first real set of headphones... Thanks, by the way, for everyone's great input over three of four different threads for first-time headphones. Now I'm leaning heavily toward Grado SR60s or SR80s with the flat pads. I admit that, besides their sound, I like the fact that the company is an independent, family-run business cranking out really good products. That's something I definitely want to support.

I would say that I used to really like extra bass, but lately I've been psyched on hearing the details in the mids and highs, and I'm looking for something with more of a soundtage, so the SR80s seem the way to go. My only concern is that if I splurge for SR80s and flat pads, it might be "too nice" for my sources. I'll be moving and losing some equipment through "attrition" the next couple weeks, so in the near future I'll mainly be using these through a tricked-out powerbook and an ipod, and sometimes with a Xin Supermini. Will the SR80 be OK without an amp? Or woud the Xin even do anything for it?

Aug 29, 2004 at 7:19 AM Post #2 of 12
sr80s will be ok without an amp. If you decide to go for the sr80 you might want to consider the Alessandro ms-1s. They are tweaked sr125s but a bit more neutral and cost $99 shipped from the alessandro website:
http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html

Aug 29, 2004 at 7:54 AM Post #3 of 12
Lisa gave good advice.

SR80 does just fine without an amp. The general consensus is that Grados do improve with an amp, but not nearly to the degree of something like Sennheiser HD 580's or 600's. I ran my SR80's from my PC sound card and was VERY pleased with the sound.

I've never heard the MS1 but it appears to be an awesome headphone for $99 shipped. If I had been a member of this site prior to purchasing my SR80's, it is very likely that I would have spent slightly more and gone for the MS1. However, if you're absolutely set on Grados, I don't think you will be disappointed with the SR80. I recently sold mine and miss them very much. I keep wanting to buy another set, but I'm trying to be patient and wait for the group purchase on the MS2 to go through.
biggrin.gif

Aug 29, 2004 at 11:50 AM Post #4 of 12
Stet...I have the SR-80's, I have the SR-71 amp, and I will tell you that they definately do NOT need to be amped. They sound great straight out of a portable.
I have no idea why Headroom says they need to be amped or they are "Murky" without an amp. Mine actually sound slightly murkier with the aamp.
As far as looking for more soundstage and detail, you might want to check out sticking with the bowl pads first. That is exactly what they were designed to do was to create more airy-ness but still has bass and doesn't feel removed from the music. I have somewhat small ears and the bowls fit fine and aren't comfortable at all...I threw on some flats a few weeks ago and they lasted all of about 5 minutes.
Best regards

Aug 29, 2004 at 11:53 AM Post #5 of 12
I think either 'phones will serve you quite nicely. The SR80's were my first "real" cans, and while they sound very good unamped, an amp will give you a little bit more of whats already there.

Aug 29, 2004 at 1:02 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Crayolaman
Stet...I have the SR-80's, I have the SR-71 amp, and I will tell you that they definately do NOT need to be amped. They sound great straight out of a portable.
I have no idea why Headroom says they need to be amped or they are "Murky" without an amp. Mine actually sound slightly murkier with the aamp.

Did you listen from a headphone out -> amp -> phones? Cause if so I think you're right and got good ears. When I amp from a headphone out all it does is change the soundsignature (Because of the opamp) and it looses a bit of clearity. Is that what murky means?

Aug 29, 2004 at 2:06 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
When I amp from a headphone out all it does is change the soundsignature (Because of the opamp) and it looses a bit of clearity. Is that what murky means?

Murky just means dark, muddy, cloudy, ect. But I havn't found that to be the case with the SR80's, amped or unamped.

Aug 29, 2004 at 2:27 PM Post #8 of 12
As Glowworm said about "murky"...he's right on. Lisa, I go Ipod (192-224 bit rate) -> Line Out -> SR-71 Amp -> Sr-80... so far I've only gotten more volume out of my amp. If anything, as you said it changes the sound just a touch. I lose a little of the soundstage that I love so much, but my detail is a little better and the bass tightens up a bit (I also start getting more distortion after about 1 or 2 o'clock on the amp gain)...still, overall there is not much difference. I am considering upgrading to the SR 225. I just want to test them first to see if the combo of the amp and upgraded cans gives me that extra "POW" that I'm looking for. Ironically enough, my Ety ER6i (which also do not need an amp, and I assume are not intended to be used with one) sound much better through the amp.
Best regards,
Eric

Aug 29, 2004 at 3:08 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Crayolaman
As Glowworm said about "murky"...he's right on. Lisa, I go Ipod (192-224 bit rate) -> Line Out -> SR-71 Amp -> Sr-80... so far I've only gotten more volume out of my amp. If anything, as you said it changes the sound just a touch. I lose a little of the soundstage that I love so much, but my detail is a little better and the bass tightens up a bit (I also start getting more distortion after about 1 or 2 o'clock on the amp gain)...still, overall there is not much difference. I am considering upgrading to the SR 225. I just want to test them first to see if the combo of the amp and upgraded cans gives me that extra "POW" that I'm looking for. Ironically enough, my Ety ER6i (which also do not need an amp, and I assume are not intended to be used with one) sound much better through the amp.
Best regards,
Eric

Well then amping the headphone out doesn't make it as bad as murky. Just a tad of clearity loss. At least with my iRiver flashplayer that is.

I find that the MX500 benefit from an amp more than my MS1s do. So yes, Grados do pretty well without an amp.

Aug 29, 2004 at 4:37 PM Post #11 of 12
nice ... if the sound improves and I'm carrying less, that's way worth it. and if there's a chance that the bowl pads are what I'm looking for, it'd be easier to go the extra $20 for the SR80s now and (maybe) shell out $30 later (essentially, wading into a pricy new habit. ... I just read the thread about buying second-hand, and I can picture what you guys are talking about).

That said, only Mr.Radar mentioned anything about the SR60s. Would they work as well without an amp? (I suspect that if I'm looking for soundstage and a little extra bass, the SR80s are the way to go, but like I said about wading into a pricy new habit...
icon10.gif
)

Aug 29, 2004 at 5:17 PM Post #12 of 12
If you're looking to save money, do what I did: get SR-60's and Radio Shack replacement pads. Not quite as comfortable, but it's probably as close as you're gonna get to flats for less than $30 (1/10th the price, actually). Great sound for the money, IMO.

As far as amps go, you don't need one unless you have a source that can't do high volumes. I have an old Rio S30S flash player that works fine with my SR-60's, and with proper EQ only shows strain at 29/30 and up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back