Starting off with hi-fi audio, curious about amps
Mar 24, 2009 at 2:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Spazghost

New Head-Fier
Hello all I'm new here so bear with me,

I've been into audio and music for a good part of my life, and recently since I've gotten out of high school and gotten a real job, i've been beginning to put more money into improving my listening experience.

I've had a pair of Grado SR-60 for about a year, and I love them. Recently (they're arriving tommorrow) I ordered a pair of Sennheiser PC 350's for use with my computer, as well as a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium.
happy_face1.gif

One thing I am wondering about though is headphone amps. At this point is it really nessecary for me to consider? And what kind of price ranges are there? I'm not really looking to spend that much as I am still just a college student, albeit one with a full time job.

Or do you guys think that for the time being, with my just beginning to acquire audio equipment, that a headphone amp isn't really nessecary, and that my current setup will keep me happy.

Cheers

Mar 24, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #3 of 5
I know the PC 350 very well as I use them every day and know a few of the guys know made them and they are just on the edge of needing amplification. You will notice that they unlike the PC16x series don't include USB sound card - they are simply too demanding - I have the Creative Elite Pro and when comparing that to the Sennheiser USB SC's you can hear why. Think the PC350 is a 150 ohm actually.
Really good system for gaming and such you got there IMO.
I would think that you need a good external DAC system or some more demanding phones before you really would get any pleasure out of an amp. How ever if you just buy a low end amp who knows you might just get that little extra.

Mar 24, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #4 of 5
Your current system is fine, but you can experiment with amps. I would say that you won't see a lot of improvement like you would with higher end cans.

Amps are more about control than anything else. The amp brings extra power to your phones which allows the drivers to move faster and more accurately. This increases detail and separation of instruments, etc. One of the most noticeable improvements from amping as far as I am concerned is the bass. With a lot of unamped phones, bass is flabby and undefined, because Bass notes are the ones that require the most movement by the drivers, so it is easy to lose control and definition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back