Starting new setup for accurate gaming and preference in HQ metal music
Nov 6, 2011 at 2:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Jpapertowels

New Head-Fier
I'm a very serious gamer looking for amazing sound that I can get for under $1000.

I enjoy listening to 70s-90s music and metal, mostly in FLAC or 320 CBR MP3s.
I need something that really wows me when it comes to positional audio and clarity.

I'm currently running an X-Fi Titanium HD with Razer Carcharias which was an extremely budget purchase from a year and a half ago, and I'm pretty sure that the Carcharias are making my choice to buy the Titanium HD pointless.

I've read lots of positive reviews about the DT 880 for gaming, then looked at the DT 990 which supposedly has more bass and treble (more fun?). Certainly the DT 990 can't be much worse than the DT 880 for gaming, and I'm much into the whole bass increase idea. :p

Now I'm having trouble choosing which to pair up with the sound card.
The current route I'm on is:

X-Fi Titanium HD -> FiiO E9 -> DT 990 600 ohm

However, I'm not sure how that would compare to:

X-Fi Titanium HD -> DT 990 250 ohm

Another thing I'm concerned about is sound coming out the headphones not going to my ears. I listen to music very loudly, basically as loud as it can go before it hurts my ears or distorts (though I assume distorting happens before ear pain). Between two closed doors 40 ft away, would the music be audible?

Also, my reason for using the Titanium HD is that I love the THX Surround and Crystallizer features (though Crystallizer is only useful in games and won't affect my FLACs much). I've grown very used to the THX Surround in movies and music.

Aaaaand... is the FiiO E9i any different from the E9? The E9i has tons of negative reviews on Amazon where as the E9 has like none. I won't be getting the E7 and I have an iPod Touch 3G so should I just stick with E9 or get E9i?

If you guys could suggest better ideas that I could go for at under $1000 then let me know! I'll be buying next week.

Also, if I bought the amp, where would I connect it? I hear going through the dedicated headphone out would be a bad idea due to double amps. Should I connect it to the front panel out? Or should I combine the R/W analog into a 3.5mm stereo connection?

Should I replace the op-amps on my X-Fi Titanium HD with something of higher quality? If so, what exactly should I replace them with?

Hate to look like an idiot but I don't want to take chances at another bad purchase. Thanks!

Nov 6, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 4
Take a look at the Valhalla, the beyer 600 ohms have great synergy with OTL tube amps.

Nov 7, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #4 of 4
The whole having to replace tubes idea kind of moved me away from them but now that I calculated that 5000 hours of listening is like 500 days for me, it doesn't seem that bad.
I'll most definitely order a Valhalla then!

Have you guys got any idea on how loud the noise is coming from the DT 990s (outside the headphones) at maximum comfort listening volume?
And how much that differs from the DT 880?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back