Starting guitar this summer
May 25, 2009 at 1:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Kenix

100+ Head-Fier
I'm not sure if this should go in Music or Member's Lounge, but either is as good as the other for responses. And guitars = music, right? Haha, in any case..

I've tried playing around with friends' guitars and really like it. So follows my new summer resolution - learn to play guitar! Does anyone know what make/model is the typical starter guitar? Sort of like the AD700/D1000/MS-1 of guitars, ya follow?

Budget under $200, and less for a good instrument is always better.

May 25, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 9
lol, depends if your going acoustic or electric. If it's electric you have to decide at least what style you think you might like. Basically there is the Fender-style guitars with pickups and Gibson style(or similar) guitars witch sport a humbucker.

A Fender Squire will probably meet your needs as it has for %90 of beginners.

A good alternative is a an Epiphone Les Paul.

May 25, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #4 of 9
Sorry, forgot to mention I'm looking for an acoustic guitar
wink.gif

May 25, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, forgot to mention I'm looking for an acoustic guitar
wink.gif

Hybrid or standard?
Applause for a hybrid.

Standards can be real cheap, but you defiantly get what you pay for. Ibanez makes some decent acoustics in that price range.

May 25, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #6 of 9
Buy used. Whatever you might get for $200 new won't be good in my opinion. What I would do first of all is ask around if anyone you know has got a cheap guitar on their attic which they are willing to part with. That way it won't cost you any money at all and you can save up for something which is better while you decide whether you will or will not be able to keep playing guitar - as quite a few people give up playing after a short while.

When buying used take one of your friends, who is already playing guitar for a while, with you. They'll know way better what to look for than you most likely.

May 25, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #7 of 9
I buy used a fender strat mexican 00 for 210 and orange amp, never regret it despite I rarely play it
tongue.gif

i love the painting!

May 25, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #8 of 9
Used is a good idea to get the most bang for your buck. Getting a guitar that has the odd dent could actually be a good thing, as you won't feel terrible when you inevitably dent it like you would a new one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Whichever you decide to go for, I'd definitely recommend you get it set up by a technician so it's playing at its best. Not sure how much they'll charge you for it where you are, but it'll be worth it.

May 26, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #9 of 9
+1 for used stuff. Head out to a local shop, they usually have a decent selection of used stuff or you may pick something up from a pawn shop that is decent, who knows. I know a guy who got an older fender strat that has some miles on it from a pawn shop, and it was not a bad price. My whole first setup was used, guitar and amp and it kept me going for a while until I was good enough to invest in a nice set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back