Starting from scratch
Dec 27, 2008 at 9:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Kosmatik

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm an avid viewer of the forum that finally committed to letting go of the on board sound. Since that's out of the way I need something to start at, around $1000 budget that includes everything, phones and speakers too.

1) 80% of time I will be playing games so I was primarily looking at the prelude. I don't know if it's worth dropping the EAX for the SQ of the new asus card. 20% will be listening to trance 320kb or flac and watching movies.
2)Zero DAC? Would I even need one?
3) Amp - once again, do I even need one with the prelude or xonar essense stx?
4) For speakers I am 99% positive I want A2's but suggestions are still welcome.
5) For headphones I was thinking d2000's or ad900.

I would rather put alot more money into the sound card and speakers then into amps and the dac.

I am really looking for criticism and suggestions, those are really welcome and much appreciated.

Jan 8, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #2 of 5
So, with more time spent on these forums I changed my mind a bit. The Prelude is in the mail already so that's taken care of. I'm wondering how the K701's combined with a CanAmp will do with trance music and gaming or should I still stick to the AD900? I also stepped up to the Audioengine A5s, if there's a non-powered loudspeaker combo that's better then the A5s please post it, I have a good amount of room on my desk.

Jan 8, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #3 of 5
Greetings Kosmatik..

Just to share my recent experience.. the Prelude will not output any of the control panel functions to a DAC. So Vista gaming is a no go, due to Alchemy not functioning as well as CMSS or any of the other panel functions. It's just music then it works amazingly well, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back