Starting audiophile needs some help
Oct 16, 2009 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Whig Bong

New Head-Fier
Hey my name is Nick, I'm 14 and love to listen to music. I've always strived to get the best quality sound out of what I have available. Now I think I'm ready to take it to the next level. I'm ready to become a full fledged audiophile. Most kids in my school, walk around with their ipod touch's, listening to their crappy headphones, and their horrible 192kbps mp3 files. I can't stand listening to such poor quality garbage. I listen to my old zune 30gb, with my decent (but cheap) koss in-ear headphones, with my Wav looseless files, or if not at least FLAC's. So here is my setup, tell me what you think, im still improving.

My full Setup:
100_1625.jpg

My Dad's old Bose 201 series III's:
100_1621.jpg

My Dad's old Techincs Stack (only the amp and EQ, he got the entire stack when a furniture store colsed down. he got the entire setup including a shelf for $275):
100_1623.jpg

My home built gaming pc (with Creative X-fi xtremegamer Fata1ity and Creative soundblaster audigy2 zs. if you want anymore specs on the pc just ask.):
100_1624.jpg

My Dad's Bose Quiet Comfort 2 Headphones that he'll usually let me borrow:
100_1626.jpg

My zune and koss in-ear headphones (which i think sound better than the bose, even though they cost $255 less.):
100_1627.jpg

So that's my setup. the reason i posted. is because i want YOUR help. i want to improve my system, but seeing as i spent all my lawn mowing money from the summer on my pc, i dont really have much money to spend.

Im willing to try DIY

Some things im looking for:

An external DAC

Some good quality cans, of my own

A new PMP seing as my zune just busted.

Maybe i might build some new speakers (who knows)

I thank you for any help in advance in case i forget to thank you later on.

Oct 16, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #2 of 16
Hey Nick, I'm Nick too, and I'm also a younger guy, 17, watching others in school listen to garbage. So I'm pretty sure the first question you're going to be asked is what type of music do you like to listen to? That would help with getting new headphones. And mostly everyone here will say that Bose is extremely overpriced, so it's better to avoid them, as you know. It will also be said that it's best to get some decent headphones first. Some choices would be Grado SR80's, Alessandro MS-1's, Audio Technica AD700, Denon D1001 (or something like that). Mostly around $100.

Oct 16, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nike T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Nick, I'm Nick too, and I'm also a younger guy, 17, watching others in school listen to garbage. So I'm pretty sure the first question you're going to be asked is what type of music do you like to listen to? That would help with getting new headphones. And mostly everyone here will say that Bose is extremely overpriced, so it's better to avoid them, as you know. It will also be said that it's best to get some decent headphones first. Some choices would be Grado SR80's, Alessandro MS-1's, Audio Technica AD700, Denon D1001 (or something like that). Mostly around $100.

Thanks for the advice, Nick. I mostly listen to Alternative rock, Rock, Screamo, and some Ska. In that order.

The first and foremost thing i want to spend my money on is a new portable music player. (seeing as my zune 30 is dead.) I was thinking of the Sansa Clip+. ive heard of its great sound quality for its size and price. A clip might hold me over for now until i can get a new zune hd, or maybe an ipod classic, for christmas.

For headphones i think these are a little pricy for the moment, seeing as my parents are living on ends meet with the current economic decline. so seeing as i need a lower price point, what do you think about Sennheiser HD202's?

Oct 16, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #5 of 16
Clip+ seems to be a good player, from what I've read. You can even expand it if you really want to. Also about your pair of headphones, have you looked at the Koss Ksc-75? They're supposed to be one of the best bang for you buck in that kind of range. I haven't read much about HD-202, but I've heard the Koss Ksc-75 and they're pretty good for the price. There's even a way to add a headband to it somewhere here on headfi.

Oct 16, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #6 of 16
For a cheap pmp you have two options either the clip or the fuze (the fuze sounds jsut as good and looks decent)
THe koss ksc 75 will probably not sound much better than what you already have (I didnt find them exceptional when I tried them)
Save for a pair of nicer cans, when your stash reaches 80-100$ get yourself either grados (the 60s or 80s) or ad700 from audio technica.
Btw that graphic eq of yours seems quite nice. If you have some time on your hands you should build something as simple as a alien DAC to go between you pc and the amp, even though I'm not sure about how your sound card sounds, I use a audigy 2 zs with kx project drivers and foobar and I get a decent SQ.

I'd advise you to wait till you have a lot of money lying around before you start with audiophile grade speakers (speaker upgraditis' moto isnt sorry about your wallet but sorry about your kid's college funds).

Oct 16, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #7 of 16
First, sorry to be jerk, but..Why the elitist attidute towards the "other kids at the school"? How do you even know if they listen to MP3's encoded in 192kbs bitrate?
Doesnt necessarily sound bad neither, atleast not when listening to modern over compressed/brickwalled cd-releases. First thing to get the cut in lossy encoding are the highs, are you sure that you even hear them? Human hearing is somewhat limited compared to the other animals and is vulnerable to weaken in the modern noisy world.

Anyway, after the OT. I think your dads Techincs(never heard one though!) amp's headphone out might actually be quite okay, many of the older stereo-amps did have a good headphone-outs.
You should look into used headphones, you can find them much cheaper than the new and in good shape too. I can only recommend couple of Sennheiser's open headphones, i dont have experience with any other phones. Cant help with the portable devices neither, allthough PSP sounds decent!

HD555= Decent sound overall, maybe little plugged lows. Great cans for the price though!

HD595=Somewhat brighter than the 555's, better bass, but some mids and highs sound really odd and unnatural. Better to get 555's, not worth the extra price.

HD650=Quite balanced sound in the whole sound spectrum, nothing stands out. More airy sound compared to the other two, little more speaker like sound. Much more details and more natural sound overall. I like them very much, wont be buying anything else in the near future.
These are in much higher price-range though. I got them used, half of the price from a friend, who didnt like headphones after all.

Dont let that hifi-elitism bite you, its nasty business. Anyway, enjoy the music, thats the good thing to do.

Oct 16, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #8 of 16
Hey I am 17 as well. I was pretty much in your position. And for my first major headphones I got the Alessandro MS1i's and I highly recommend them.

What kind of music do you listen to?

Oct 16, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #9 of 16
Hi nick, first thing first. Get rid of your Bose equipment, and test out some Sennheiser stuff if you prefer a more laid-back, darker, full-house sound. If you prefer a forefront, quick sound, then test out an Alessandro MS1 or Grado SR60 like someone mentioned. At the same time, get a dedicated source plus an amp, but those can be reserved for later.

Oct 16, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude
Hi nick, first thing first. Get rid of your Bose equipment, and test out some Sennheiser stuff if you prefer a more laid-back, darker, full-house sound. If you prefer a forefront, quick sound, then test out an Alessandro MS1 or Grado SR60 like someone mentioned. At the same time, get a dedicated source plus an amp, but those can be reserved for later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emtezetwo
Anyway, after the OT. I think your dads Techincs(never heard one though!) amp's headphone out might actually be quite okay, many of the older stereo-amps did have a good headphone-outs.
You should look into used headphones, you can find them much cheaper than the new and in good shape too. I can only recommend couple of Sennheiser's open headphones, i dont have experience with any other phones. Cant help with the portable devices neither, allthough PSP sounds decent!

Really the only reason i have this Bose equipment is because my dad used to be an ignorant amateur audiophile. whatever sounded best, and was the most expensive at the store is was what he bought.the only other good quality speakers i have are huge infinity studio speakers with dented woofers. My dad uses those for our home theater system. i would love to get some sennheiser stuff. I personally think the sound system in my room sounds as good if not better than our home theater's. I'm very happy with my mini technics stack. and i still have the Am/fm tuner, cd player, and cassette player sitting in my living room. (actually a very nice set. in great condition.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr c
For a cheap pmp you have two options either the clip or the fuze (the fuze sounds jsut as good and looks decent)
THe koss ksc 75 will probably not sound much better than what you already have (I didnt find them exceptional when I tried them)
Save for a pair of nicer cans, when your stash reaches 80-100$ get yourself either grados (the 60s or 80s) or ad700 from audio technica.
Btw that graphic eq of yours seems quite nice. If you have some time on your hands you should build something as simple as a alien DAC to go between you pc and the amp, even though I'm not sure about how your sound card sounds, I use a audigy 2 zs with kx project drivers and foobar and I get a decent SQ.

I'm being more drawn to the clip because of its price point. And im thinking about getting some grados for home listening. but for school i don't think huge/expensive cans on my head would look "cool" that and they would break within 10 minutes. i was thinking more of some Klipsch Image S2's i think these would sound good for the price, take the beating of everyday listening, and not make me look stupid.what's your take? I also have an audigy 2 ZS but cant get the drivers working. I guess ill stick with my X-fi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emteztetwo
First, sorry to be jerk, but..Why the elitist attidute towards the "other kids at the school"? How do you even know if they listen to MP3's encoded in 192kbs bitrate?
Doesnt necessarily sound bad neither, atleast not when listening to modern over compressed/brickwalled cd-releases. First thing to get the cut in lossy encoding are the highs, are you sure that you even hear them? Human hearing is somewhat limited compared to the other animals and is vulnerable to weaken in the modern noisy world.

I know for a fact that there are only about 2 people in my school that care about audio quality. i can't stand listening to stock audio in most case. I do know my ears have faults, but most of the time i can tell audio quality pretty easily. The only fault that i can find in my hearing is the volume in my left ear, seeing as i had surgery in it when i was younger.

And by the way, thanks for all the help i really appreciate it.
o2smile.gif

Oct 17, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #11 of 16
192 kbps isnt that bad...

But you can start by getting rid of all that eq (that is what i was told when I joined here and showed my absurdly high bass and treble settings). It takes a few weeks to get uses to, but its how the music is supposed to sound. EQ is used to compensate for shortcomings in the equipment.

Oct 17, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy*Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
192 kbps isnt that bad...

But you can start by getting rid of all that eq (that is what i was told when I joined here and showed my absurdly high bass and treble settings). It takes a few weeks to get uses to, but its how the music is supposed to sound. EQ is used to compensate for shortcomings in the equipment.

Personally I love customizing my EQ. It may not be the "purist" way of listening to music, but it adds more punch, and depth,with a good EQ, especially when its a really nice hardware EQ. and not just the software EQ in fobar. My system definetly does have some shortcomings, mainly the Bose speakers (even though they sound decent) The EQ really helps get the full sound out of them.

Oct 17, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #13 of 16
Once you get into equipment that actually creates sounds the way that they were meant to be heard, the eq should probably be toned down to preserve that balance of the recording.

Oct 17, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #14 of 16
hey I'm a little older, 18. welcome to head-fi and sorry for your wallet, if you decided to start this endless journey
biggrin.gif

I second the opinion of getting rid of the eq, it mostly never makes your music sound right.
Secondly, find some good cans to start with, I started with a hd495 2 years ago, and it was quite a good pair. Bose is not that good from what I heard coz I never listened to one.

Oct 17, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #15 of 16
Thanks for the advice guys. when i finally get enough money i think this is what my portable setup will be:

Source: Either a Sansa Clip + or a Zune Hd

Amp: Fiio E5

Cans: Grado SR60i's or Sennheiser HD202's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back