Starting a search for the best wireless cans under $200
Feb 26, 2017 at 2:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jeffmd

Head-Fier
So I've been kicking around with wired buds for quite some time now with my last ones being a pair of ostry kc06a. I love strong bass and treble. Back in the day I also kicked around with a pair of grado 60's and they were awesome, only reason I don't have them today is the horrible cable kept breaking internally and I had to destroy the shell to rewire them, eventually trashing it altogether. 

I owned the sennheiser 280 pros but the bass was really lacking in them and I figured the closed shell made air circulation difficult. Maybe I'm wrong here? Anyways..I'm looking to get back into a set of cans for long term listening, so comfort is a must, and I am looking to go the wireless route. To be more specific, I need AptX capable headphones. I have been using AptX receivers with good success for speaker sets and such and feel it works well enough to invest in a pricey pair of wireless cans for. 

My targeted specs are;

- Under $200
- High amount of comfort for long term listening. 
- Wireless with AptX support.
- Open or closed is fine, but I generally feel open cup gives me the sound that I prefer. I enjoy a range of music from electric, pop, and metal all featuring a range of orchestral instruments to a band set. As I mention, I like to boost my bass and treble with a V type sound signature, but never to the point where bass drowns anything out. 

And I could care less about noise canceling. Obviously being able to turn it off if it comes with it is a requirement but it would be even better if the headphones didn't even come with such a junk feature that ruins sound. 

Feb 27, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #2 of 5
Pinging because post are sorted by its creation date, not by its moderation approval (nice touch.. users with 30+ post and creation dates of 06 need mods? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ) so it started at the bottom of the page to begin with. 

Feb 28, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #3 of 5
I've been on the market for bt headphones as well. I'm gonna preface my suggestions by saying that I have only ever worn 2 headphones in my life and the most recent one was 2 years ago. These suggestions were purely from research and not from personal experience.

The top BT Headphones on my radar were:
1. Plantronics BackBeat Pro 2 ($200)
2. Audio-Technica ATH-WS99BT ($182)
3. AKG K 845BT ($175)

All of them are closed.

Sennheiser has also announced a few new bt headphones but I have yet to hear any decent reviews/comparisons from them:
1. Sennheiser 4.40BT
2. Sennheiser 4.50BTNC

Sorry if I wasn't much of help. How I wish I could try all of them out just so it wouldn't take me 2 weeks to decide (still haven't til this day).

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #4 of 5
  I've been on the market for bt headphones as well. I'm gonna preface my suggestions by saying that I have only ever worn 2 headphones in my life and the most recent one was 2 years ago. These suggestions were purely from research and not from personal experience.

The top BT Headphones on my radar were:
1. Plantronics BackBeat Pro 2 ($200)
2. Audio-Technica ATH-WS99BT ($182)
3. AKG K 845BT ($175)

All of them are closed.

Sennheiser has also announced a few new bt headphones but I have yet to hear any decent reviews/comparisons from them:
1. Sennheiser 4.40BT
2. Sennheiser 4.50BTNC

Sorry if I wasn't much of help. How I wish I could try all of them out just so it wouldn't take me 2 weeks to decide (still haven't til this day).

Somebody on the board recently bought a K845BT and is very, very happy with it. The WS99 is pretty bassy, if I recall correctly. Haven't heard the Plantronics and only rumors about both Senns. Sorry. There are not a ton of options, as you no doubt found in your research. Personally, it seems like the AKG is a pretty safe bet these days. On the other hand, if you buy from amazon, and you don't like what you get, you can just return it if you need to. No problem. Some people who are uncertain, order two and then return the one they like least. Some thoughts for you.

Feb 28, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #5 of 5
  Somebody on the board recently bought a K845BT and is very, very happy with it. The WS99 is pretty bassy, if I recall correctly. Haven't heard the Plantronics and only rumors about both Senns. Sorry. There are not a ton of options, as you no doubt found in your research. Personally, it seems like the AKG is a pretty safe bet these days. On the other hand, if you buy from amazon, and you don't like what you get, you can just return it if you need to. No problem. Some people who are uncertain, order two and then return the one they like least. Some thoughts for you.

I didn't know that was an option, could I really return an item I already used? I went back to Amazon and found out that the AKG K 845BT for $175 couldn't be shipped to my location 
frown.gif

They looked very good and comfortable as well, however, I've seen a lot of complaints about its high failure rate. If ever I would purchase the 845BT I'll have to have it shipped via a 3rd party courier ($+30) and if ever it arrived faulty, I have to return them and pay the shipping fee to have it sent from my house and sent back to my 3rd party courier ($+60) and that's assuming the second one isn't faulty as well.

There are also other concerns for its uncomfortable headband and 6 hour battery life.

I'd really really like the AKGs as well, they seem to be what I wanted (neutral) but apart from the extra shipping and uncertainty of the product arriving fine, I went with the Plantronics BackBeat Pros for $120. For the rest of the money, I might just use it to order some custom earpads if I ever end up not liking them.

Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back