Starter with a 200Eur budget and a lot of doubts. Help me!
Oct 2, 2014 at 11:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

deppep

New Head-Fier
Hey guys! I'm reading a lot of stuff about the subject but still can't decide. I'm aiming to build a decent home set up involving open, circumaural headphones and eventually a beginner amp/dac.
I'd love something upgradable, for example an headphones set that could stands on their legs or with really little support and later benefit from a nice amp.
i've been attracted so far by Philips Fidelio X1, Hifiman He300, Sennheiser 598, AKG k701/702. i know the latter be really thirsty in amp requisites. Budget 200Eur+-50. I mainly listen to jazz, indie rock and rap.

I'm still considering something more portable build around closed headphones.

Any suggestion?

Oct 2, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for your reply Nidus! I'm a lot intrigued by the X1 but someone told me they tend to be a bit bassy and the thing may not match the music i usually listen to. How you feel about that?
About the 598hd, I've read some reviews about and i'm attracted by their "warm" headphones fame. Don't really like how they look though :\.

Oct 2, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for your reply Nidus! I'm a lot intrigued by the X1 but someone told me they tend to be a bit bassy and the thing may not match the music i usually listen to. How you feel about that?

If you don't like extra bass added to your music, then no. They would not be the best choice. But that's a personal listening preference.

So you probably want to decide what kind of sound signature you like. And then because you like rap, make sure it has decent bass extension, but whether or not you want extra bass emphasis over what the music calls for is something you have to decide :)

Do you currently have any headphones or a home audio setup? If you do, tell us about them and what you like/don't like about the frequency response emphasis (bass, mids, treble).

Oct 2, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #5 of 9
Fact is I love basses, i play electric and double bass too, but music i usually listen tends to have a focus on the mid mainly.

In the past i had some cheap sennheiser IEMs, Sony MDR-V55 and Marshall Major. No one of those really impressed me.  I know i'm going to say some sort of blasphemy but i found my little brother's beats pretty funny to listen some Kanye West 
tongue.gif
, though i know they are badly overpriced.

Thanks for you patience and quick answers again guys
bigsmile_face.gif
!

Oct 2, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #8 of 9
I think they were some "Solo HD by Dre", i actually enjoyed their bass 
redface.gif
 ! For the records, i was listening to some Kanye West's My Beautiful Twisted Dark Fantasy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back