Starter Tube Amp?
Apr 10, 2009 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Moontan13

1000+ Head-Fier
Sorry for the noobish questions...

I've gotten down to deciding between the DV 336se or the HD EF1. First of all, are either of these suitable for my el cheapo headphones? (JVC HARX900 and 700, D1001). If not, which phones should I be looking at? While I'm real happy with these phones, they're not too great with acoustic music. Also, regarding tube rolling, which amp am I likely to find the best selection of non-mortgage busting tubes?

Also, who to buy the amp from? I'm in Colorado, and I see TTVJ is close enough in Montana. I'd like to establish a long term relationship with one dealer I can count on.

Apr 10, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #2 of 10
Apr 10, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #4 of 10
It isn't on your list, but I would consider the little dot mk III. There are a million and one tuberolling options and it is a very good sounding amp for the price. It has had good synergy with both high and low impedance phones that I have used with it.

Apr 10, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #5 of 10
The EF1 is actually a very very good amp. I had one modded by HiFlight for a long time. IMO, it sounded more like a SS than a tube. It was very clear, very fast, and had amazing extension. I sadly regret getting rid of it.

Apr 10, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #6 of 10
I appreciate the input. I am looking for tube sound though. What impedances should I be looking for in a tube amp powered headphone? Taking it further, can you suggest a 'phone in the $200-$500 range?

Apr 11, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #8 of 10
Still ld mk III as far as my recommendation goes. When ppl say impedances, they are mentioning the fact that some amps are technically better with low impedance or high impedance phones. Output Transformerless or OTL amps, such as the little dot mk III, are generally considered to be better with high impedance (Z) phones, because they deliver more current to high Z phones and are usually better suited to high Z phones. Hybrid tube amps are usually better suited to phones with lower impedance. These are not hard and fast rules, and not everyone feels the same way; It is simply that some amps are better for high or low Z phones on paper. That said, the LD mk III has sounded good and very synergistic with most everything I have thrown at it.

Apr 11, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #10 of 10
I started with the Darkvoice Figaro 220v loved until it died. Now have a 336se. Upgraded a few parts, bought a few tubes, made a few power cables and floored how great it sounds. Have Senn HD 580's and MS-1's, both recabled and lovin' it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back