starter tube amp? recommendations?
Apr 13, 2004 at 6:04 PM Post #16 of 29
I often prefer the sound of less expensive amps,the MPX3 I think is as good as the EAR HP4 for instance.

Apr 13, 2004 at 7:18 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by kugino
.... as far as the ppx3 goes, is it worth getting the 6sn7 tubes? or should i just get the stock and buy my own tubes?

I don't think you can just substitute the 6sn7 tube for the 6cg7 used in the ppx3. I think the higher cost for the ppx3 - 6sn7 is for modification of the ppx3 so that it can accept the bigger tube. I haven't heard either so I can't comment on sound of either amp although the ppx3 has been highly praised recently. Some even prefer it over the mpx3 for it's musicality.

Apr 14, 2004 at 3:44 AM Post #19 of 29
can't seem to find a pic of the ppx3. i love the black mpx3 and would love to get it, but maybe a little out of my price range at the moment. anyone have a pic of the ppx3 they could post or send me? thanks!...and, is anyone selling their ppx3?
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2004 at 12:28 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

can't seem to find a pic of the ppx3. i love the black mpx3 and would love to get it, but maybe a little out of my price range at the moment. anyone have a pic of the ppx3 they could post or send me? thanks!...and, is anyone selling their ppx3?
smily_headphones1.gif

www.6sn7.com for pics of singlepower amps click on Maestro zr.
You can also look in the members lounge at the last NY meet for a pic of the ppx3.
The PPx3 is a great little tube amp that can drive low & high impedence phones well other then the AKG1000.Highly recommended.

Apr 14, 2004 at 4:49 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by bozebuttons
www.6sn7.com for pics of singlepower amps click on Maestro zr.
You can also look in the members lounge at the last NY meet for a pic of the ppx3.
The PPx3 is a great little tube amp that can drive low & high impedence phones well other then the AKG1000.Highly recommended.

thanks, bozebuttons. i didn't think to check that link. i wish the ppx3 came in black, but the chrome isn't too shabby. i'm tempted...

Apr 14, 2004 at 5:31 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

thanks, bozebuttons. i didn't think to check that link. i wish the ppx3 came in black, but the chrome isn't too shabby. i'm tempted...

Contact Mikhail I am sure he can accomodate you on a black one.You would have to ask him if there would be a price differance
between the two.

Apr 14, 2004 at 5:51 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by bozebuttons
Contact Mikhail I am sure he can accomodate you on a black one.You would have to ask him if there would be a price differance
between the two.

I believe the latest chassis is bigger than the original chrome and wood and black is now standard.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2004 at 7:44 AM Post #25 of 29
rob,
thanks for sending the pic...

now, the question is, should i get the standard ppx3 or the one with the 6sn7 tubes? also, what upgrades would you recommend with the ppx3?

Apr 16, 2004 at 7:25 AM Post #26 of 29
While the 6sn7 type tubes should give you a better sound, it does come at a premium. A good NOS 6sn7/vt231 tube goes for 50-100 on ebay depending on the condition and you will need 3 of those, 1 matched pair. I think it might be too much at once for a starter amp. Try to attend a meet to get a better idea about tube amp. You might end up saving yourself some money or springing for the big boys
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 16, 2004 at 7:21 PM Post #28 of 29
The best bang for the buck option is the solen stage 1 upgrade. This will give a richer, fuller and slightly faster sound per Mikhail; and its only $65. I also like the neutrik jacks which cost $25 more. You might consider the output caps upgrade but thats $160 more for a $465 amp. I would get the first two upgrades and be done. If you add the output caps upgrade to the ppx3, you are in mpx3 cost territory for a just a little more money. The ppx3 is more of a starter amp like you asked about, but still gives you excellent sound and build quality. The 6cg7 tubes used in the standard ppx3 are much cheaper. Good ones can be found for $15-20 each. The 6sn7 is an airier sounding tube while the 6cg7 is a tighter more precise sounding tube. Personal preferance will decide which one you like better, but I like both about equally well myself; atleast in the singlepower implementations.

Apr 17, 2004 at 3:39 AM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by sacd lover
The best bang for the buck option is the solen stage 1 upgrade. This will give a richer, fuller and slightly faster sound per Mikhail; and its only $65. I also like the neutrik jacks which cost $25 more. You might consider the output caps upgrade but thats $160 more for a $465 amp. I would get the first two upgrades and be done. If you add the output caps upgrade to the ppx3, you are in mpx3 cost territory for a just a little more money. The ppx3 is more of a starter amp like you asked about, but still gives you excellent sound and build quality. The 6cg7 tubes used in the standard ppx3 are much cheaper. Good ones can be found for $15-20 each. The 6sn7 is an airier sounding tube while the 6cg7 is a tighter more precise sounding tube. Personal preferance will decide which one you like better, but I like both about equally well myself; atleast in the singlepower implementations.

thanks, sacd lover! i want to get the 6sn7 ppx and a couple of the upgrades, but that's close to mpx3 territory. i'll have to weigh the options here...maybe try and get a used mpx3...anyone selling their black one?
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back