Starter tube amp - Project Starlight, Little Dot Mk III or something else?
Dec 9, 2014 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

bavinck

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi All,
Looking for my first tube amp to enter the world of tube rolling (eventually, not right away). I will be using this amp with primarily the new AKG K7XX (massdrop), but also at times with my Senn HD600. I don't want to spend more than about $200, as I have never tried a tube amp and don't know if the sound and/or tube rolling will be my thing yet, but I want to try it out. For these cans, which amp do you think will do me better for music (all genres) and availability of reasonably priced tubes? 
Thanks!

Dec 9, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #2 of 5
I have a Garage1217 amp and have tried out the Starlight and I thought it sounded fantastic for the price. I used it with my AKG K712s and it seemed like a great pairing to me, but I only had limited listening to that pairing.

Dec 9, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #3 of 5
Do you know of any reason to pick one over the other, or are they comparable? I like the look of the project starlight better, and I prefer to buy from US, so I am kind of leaning in that direction right now.Do you feel like the starlight brought out the full potential of the K712s?

Dec 9, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #4 of 5
Well the Starlight has a lot more output than the Little Dot according to a quick search. The little dot is 100mW into 32ohm and 300mW at 120. My K712 62ohm.... so if we were generous and assummed that the little dot exactly follows the math, it's like 170mW at 60ohm. The Starlight is something like 500mW at that load, so there's more headroom.

If you meant one garage1217 over another, they all sounded different, so it would just depend on your taste. The Starlight is a fantastic value in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back