starter tube amp (need help)
Oct 29, 2005 at 4:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jas_kidd32

100+ Head-Fier
hi i'm thinking of buying an amp, and i'm thinking of getting one of the less expensive tube amps. My options came down to two amps pricing at approximately $150US, these are the Little Dot II and V.A.L. E10 tube amp. Does anyone have any experience w/ these?

BTW if anyone has any suggestion for a tube amp around the $150 price range then feel free to make a suggestion. Also i live in australia so shipping cost will be taken into account as well.

Oct 30, 2005 at 12:00 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by blueworm
The millet hybrid will fall into that price range nicely.
Perhaps you can find a proffesional builder that lives in oz.
Have a look in the DIY forum.

I beg to differ. While the parts cost of populating a Millett Hybrid PCB might cost less than $100 (depending on parts choices and who you get your PCB from) there is no commercial manufacturer currently producing an amp of this type for less than $300. I think people are largely confused about the cost of this amplifier partly based on information provided to the DIY community about the cost of the parts for to build the amplifier. The most stripped Millett I've ever built (and I've built 7 or 8 now) cost nearly $150 in parts once an enclosure, knobs, jack, etc. were added up. Don't get me wrong it was a nice sounding amp, but to say that it should only cost $150 because the parts cost $150 is incorrect.

One might be able to find someone willing to build a Millett (my name is NOT on that list) based off of one of the various PCBs that exist or PTP one for you but finding someone willing to do it for free is highly unlikely.

Hope that helps,

Nate

Oct 30, 2005 at 1:06 AM Post #4 of 10
nate: also remember that there is added expense getting the parts over here in australia, so if it were just under $150 over there it'd be more like 200 here.

Oct 30, 2005 at 1:14 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazper
nate: also remember that there is added expense getting the parts over here in australia, so if it were just under $150 over there it'd be more like 200 here.

Yup, you're right - so my point is only further proven.

I'm not trying to steer anyone away from the Millet, please don't get me wrong - I think people just have this impression that it's some low budget marginal headamp. Those of us who've listened to the amp know better
smily_headphones1.gif

Nate

Oct 30, 2005 at 1:22 AM Post #6 of 10
True. Populated Millett board would run around $100, and then you have to add on the expenses for enclosure, jacks, switches, knobs, POWER SUPPLY, etc. so $200 would be a better figure for costs alone.

Oct 30, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jas_kidd32
hi i'm thinking of buying an amp, and i'm thinking of getting one of the less expensive tube amps. My options came down to two amps pricing at approximately $150US, these are the Little Dot II and V.A.L. E10 tube amp. Does anyone have any experience w/ these?

BTW if anyone has any suggestion for a tube amp around the $150 price range then feel free to make a suggestion. Also i live in australia so shipping cost will be taken into account as well.

VAL E10 and Bada PH1 cost less than $150 but shipping from China might take the price above $150.

One of the E5 owners, posting on the E5 source thread, has the VAL E10.

The Badas PH1 is a tube/SS hybrid that is well regarded as a budget amp.

Oct 30, 2005 at 1:47 AM Post #9 of 10
fwiw a low budget m3 could be built in australia for about $340(AUD) in parts. - not entirely helpful, but worth knowing.

Nov 9, 2005 at 7:02 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jas_kidd32

I have a LDII from the ipodstudio.com group buy. Out of the 20 amps in the group buy, I think 16 failed. (The disaster saga begins to unfold here )

Thee most amazing amp I've heard (I've only owned a cmoy, two nice pimetas, my receiver, and a Little Dot Micro portable amp). Simply amazing. However, beware the appaling QC problems!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back