Starter Rig?
Sep 3, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

What do you mean? FLAC is just a format; you can rip CDs into FLAC, but they won't play on an iPod. That's just about the bitrate--right now you use "mp3s". When you say that, do you mean you rip CDs in iTunes, and you haven't changed any settings?
If that's the case you most likely have been ripping the songs into .AAC format, not .MP3; that's actually a decent thing, because AAC is quite alright. 

Try re-ripping some music at a higher bitrate. It doesn't have to be FLAC-level (the Apple equivalent is Apple Lossless, or ALAC), maybe set it to 256 or 320 kbps. Maybe you'll find the music sounds better this way. But it will take up about 1.5-2x more space per song.

Next, before diving into things, consider what you don't like about your current headphones. They're already closed, and you're looking for closed--so, a replacement? In terms of the way your 448 sound, what do you wish they did better?

I was just wondering how to rip into FLAC format, but I think I'll just use a higher bitrate.

Well I'm just looking for a better quality sound through headphones that will fit my needs. I'm simply looking for a step up, thats why I can wait a little and do research like this, because mine seem to be preforming alright. If I were to change anything about the headphones themselves (besides the sound) they are 1 not very portable and 2 the right speaker seems quieter than the left for some reason.

Sep 4, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #17 of 21
Lots of programs will rip into FLAC (I use fre:ac, but EAC and foobar2000) will do it as well.

I also have the HD448 and they are by far my least favorite headphones (I have several others in the same price range Grado SR80s, Audio Technical ATH-AD700, JVC HARX-900, Sony MDR-V6).  There is nothing terrible about the 448s but there is nothing exceptional either.  The sound is good, but nothing really stands out (some would say this is a good thing).  Everything is there, but it really just sounds boring to me.  I also don't like the cable, too thing and transmits too much external noise.  Not sure if that reflects your experience on not, but that is why I might look for an upgrade.

Sep 4, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #18 of 21
But he uses an iPod. So FLAC isn't an option (well, it is if he wants to Rockbox, but I'm assuming that we're keeping things more constant than not).

takubi: Sounds like your headphone needs replacing asap. I do think the Audio Technica M50 is a good sounding headphone--I can't compare it to the 448, but for what it's worth, I've heard it after owning much more expensive equipment that are objectively and (to most) subjectively better. It's quite decent, comfy, I think it will isolate external noise well, and it feels well built. Cord is long, but this may not be an issue for you; some velcro or cable tie will fix that.

schroederrt's Sony V6 is a classic headphone, used by sound crews and recording artists for years (in the studio). It looks kind of similar to the M50, and should be as cheap, if not cheaper. It's also slimmer. I don't know how it sounds, but given who uses it, the sound signature may be a little too neutral for your tastes.

Sep 4, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #19 of 21
Quote:
But he uses an iPod. So FLAC isn't an option (well, it is if he wants to Rockbox, but I'm assuming that we're keeping things more constant than not).

takubi: Sounds like your headphone needs replacing asap. I do think the Audio Technica M50 is a good sounding headphone--I can't compare it to the 448, but for what it's worth, I've heard it after owning much more expensive equipment that are objectively and (to most) subjectively better. It's quite decent, comfy, I think it will isolate external noise well, and it feels well built. Cord is long, but this may not be an issue for you; some velcro or cable tie will fix that.

schroederrt's Sony V6 is a classic headphone, used by sound crews and recording artists for years (in the studio). It looks kind of similar to the M50, and should be as cheap, if not cheaper. It's also slimmer. I don't know how it sounds, but given who uses it, the sound signature may be a little too neutral for your tastes.

Thank you so much for the help and info. I think that the M50s will be the best option, especially since it seems to be a step up from my current pair. And I'm sure I'll like them even just because I don't have much to compare them to. The sony's seem like a good option too and are my second choice for sure, but I feel like I'm going to enjoy the M50s more.

With the audio files, I'm just going to try to get the mp3s higher quality when I rip in the future.

Thank you again for the help and patience, all this stuff is pretty confusing for me right now and I'm sure I'll have more questions to come :wink:.

Sep 4, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #20 of 21
No worries man, just take things one step at a time and you'll be fine (as will your wallet).

About amping: recently I've been hearing more people say the M50's don't benefit that much from amping. In the interest of convenience and cost, it's saner to not buy an amp just yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back