Starter Kit?!
Oct 9, 2001 at 6:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

beavisclone

Head-Fier
Hi! I have NO knowledge of DIY electronics or electronics in general. I think I flunked Physics twice when I took it :p Are there any starter kits or books for absolute newbies? I go to UCSD, any suggestions for Electrical Engineering courses I should take to help me understand some of this stuff?
smily_headphones1.gif
I want to learn! This is just the incredibly . . . "engaging" hobby I love to immerse myself in
smily_headphones1.gif
Any help would be appreciated.

Oct 9, 2001 at 7:41 AM Post #2 of 7
A good place to start, at least researching different types of projects would be the project library over at HeadWize. Chu Moy has put together an invaluable collection of articles from many sources. Here is a link:

HeadWize Project Library

Have fun...
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2001 at 9:40 AM Post #3 of 7
"engaging" hobby I love

HEHAEHAEHAEHHAHEAHEHAEHEHA

Oh sorry.

It's expensive, you'll feel brilliant one day and competely stupid the next, it'll take up all of your time not just your "free" time, did I mention it's expensive?

There's two ways - there's building and there's understanding. The former is connect-the-dots, paint-by-numbers. you don't have to understnd a schematic besides what symbol represents what part. With that and a parts list, you're done! The latter - well, as you say that involves classes, expensive books, more time and even more money (mo money mo money mo money mo money mo money...)

If you're still amazed at how energy flows from the magical socket where everything plugs in, start with a novel like Amdhal's "There Are No Electrons" - it's funny as hell. Extremely helpful in understanding the magic, though.

Then, grab a copy of Horowitz and Hill's "The Art of Electronics"... it's under $100 but barely under 100 pounds... as books go it's more a collection of ramblings than sequential learning, but it's very comprehensive.

In a few weeks/months you'll know how much time effort and money you want to invest in this "hobby"... and we'll go from there.

Also, talk to your math professor about electronics classes to take... what? what do you mean, you don't like math!?!?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2001 at 2:28 AM Post #5 of 7
Apheared, hehehehe, is that the Frekazoid symbol? I thought I was the only person that watched that show
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, anyway, I didn't get into audio equipment cause I was squemish about spending money. Lord knows I'll be spending every paycheck for the rest of my life buying amps, preamps, interconnects, DACs, recievers, speakers, and, of course, headphones
wink.gif

I think I'll try asking my Math professor about classes I could take. I might even *GULP* approach the Physics department.

Did I mention I'm a math major?
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2001 at 3:25 AM Post #7 of 7
that might be the freakazoid symbol, but knowing apheared that "F" stands for something else
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back