Starter heaphones and amp questions
Sep 1, 2021 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

bajaed

New Head-Fier
Need to start using some headphones with my system for late night listening.

My 1st generation Rogue Cronus Magnum does not have a great headphone module(I understand it's really good now). Am I correct that I can go fixed out to a headphone amp?

I am considering the Zen Can Signature and the Schiit Asgard 3. Thoughts there?

As for as headphones it looks like the Sennheiser HD 6xx is a great value and mates well with the Zen Can 6xx.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Sep 1, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 12
6XX/ HD650 does well with those genres, although don`t really listen to Jazz (yet).
Never tried the iFi Signature personally, although the ZenDac2 does fine with them.

I have used HD650 with a couple of tube amps, and enjoyed them more that way.

Also if you don`t get on with the 6XX you have good resale and a point of reference for a different headphone direction.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #5 of 12
My 1st generation Rogue Cronus Magnum does not have a great headphone module(I understand it's really good now). Am I correct that I can go fixed out to a headphone amp?

Yes, you can hook up the headphone amp to the fixed line out on your integrated amplifier.

I am considering the Zen Can Signature and the Schiit Asgard 3. Thoughts there?

As for as headphones it looks like the Sennheiser HD 6xx is a great value and mates well with the Zen Can 6xx.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Just note that your tubes won't influence the sound through the headphones so don't expect what you would normally expect from tubes.

Asgard and Asgard2 (have not tried the Asgard3) were close in some ways in the tone (but then again so are many other solid states in similar ways) but the real caveat is the soundstage rendering. For the money, it's good though. The real problem is if you're expecting good spatial reproduction in terms of size, temper your expectations when pairing the Asgard with something like a Sennheiser HD580/J/600/650/6XX/58X/660S since they'll reinforce each other's weak spatial reproduction. That's in terms of size though - if you temper your expectations you still get reasonable spacing between each instrument, keeping them more proportional instead of hearing the cymbals splashing too far forward and to the flanks past the guitars.

New to headphones. I listen to a wide variety of music. Lots of jazz, also blues, blues rock, classic rock, soul/funk and country/country rock.

Seems like a safe bet so far.

Sep 2, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #6 of 12
Went ahead and ordered the 6xx and the Zen Can Signature xx through drop. Anxious to hear the combo. May pickup one of the Schiit amps later and keep whichever sounds best.
Need to get a long cord ordered for the 6xx today. Any more suggestions for that?

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #7 of 12
Sep 2, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #8 of 12
Went ahead and ordered the 6xx and the Zen Can Signature xx through drop. Anxious to hear the combo. May pickup one of the Schiit amps later and keep whichever sounds best.
Need to get a long cord ordered for the 6xx today. Any more suggestions for that?

Good stuff. Be interested to hear an impression on the "Xspace " switch.
Have fun:)

Sep 2, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #9 of 12
Hope you enjoy your new set up when it arrives. I’d definitely recommend Hart Audio cables. They are great and if you end up moving on to other headphones or amps you can still use the interconnects with all their cables.

Sep 3, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #11 of 12
Thank you for this.
Happy to help out - :thumbsup:

Seriously looking at the Hart Cables as an upgrade to the stock cables on my 660S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back