Starter Headphones Below $100
Sep 9, 2004 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

snarfy

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,
I've been cruising these forums for a couple days now, and I must say that you guys have hooked me!
orphsmile.gif
So anyways, I'm looking to get started, a newbie audiophile...Could you guys give me some examples of good entry-level cans (using the lingo, too!
600smile.gif
) for less than a hundred bucks?

Currently, I have a pair of Senns, PC155s, which I run for pc games, and
I'd like something that's good for mainly Jazz, and is closed ( closed surrounds your ear, right? ) and mabye even noise cancelling - nothing wrecks the mood more than hearing the drunk guy who lives in the apartment upstairs stagger home at 11:30.
rolleyes.gif

Thanks fellas,
Alex Howard

Sep 9, 2004 at 2:14 AM Post #2 of 16
Audio-Technica ATH-A500
Sony D66 Eggos
Sony V6
Sennheiser HD280 Pro

Please don't buy until someone else checks over my list, I'm just doing this to see how good my suggestions wind up being
biggrin.gif

Sep 9, 2004 at 2:24 AM Post #3 of 16
FYI, closed doesn't mean the phones surrounds you ears. Supra-aural (sp?) = pads are touching your ears , Circumaural = encloses you ears. Closed phones are well, closed. Most/all of the sound can't be heard by others, outside noises aren't audible by the listener (amt varies dep. on phone). Open phones, music can leak out and outside noises are audible (varies also). Each type of phone has negatives and positives to the sound produced, as well as notable characteristics.

Sep 9, 2004 at 3:47 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
A500.

he'll have to be them used if he wants those. Based on everything I've read, consider the Sony MDR-V6s or the Senn HD280 Pros.

Sep 9, 2004 at 5:11 AM Post #8 of 16
All Grados are open.

Yes, A500s will cost about $110 with shipping, but you see them 2nd hand cheaper some times. They're about the best entry level cans that give good sound that I know of. 280s are pretty fantastic for the price but the mild lack of bass would stop me recommending them as main cans.

Take a look at the review in my sig, if that helps, snarfy.

Sep 9, 2004 at 5:17 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
Aren't the Grado SR-60s open 'phones?

DING DING DING DING! WE HAVE A WINNER!
biggrin.gif

Never heard 'em, but I'd vote A500 as well. I didn't like the 280s or the V6s, although I didn't listen to them for extremely long, either.

Sep 10, 2004 at 7:47 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by snarfy
Hey guys,

I'd like something that's good for mainly Jazz, and is closed ( closed surrounds your ear, right? ) and mabye even noise cancelling - nothing wrecks the mood more than hearing the drunk guy who lives in the apartment upstairs stagger home at 11:30.
rolleyes.gif

Thanks fellas,
Alex Howard

Hi Alex,

don't bother with noise cancellation. Silly gimmick that adds cost and detracts from sound quality.

The V6 for jazz is a painful proposition. The HD280 is better and has great isolation. I'd rather get new headphones then used, so I don't know if used A500s are the way to go, unless you are buying from an ultrareliable seller like a Head-Fi seller...
wink.gif
Also, in my experience A500s are none too common, so finding a used set might be a difficult long term task.

Grado SR60s are good sounding, but none too comfy. The Senn 497s are also good sounding and more comfortable to wear, but these are both open designs. The Senn PX100s are very light and comfy, cheap ($40) and sound good, though not quite as good as SR60s or 497s. They are also open.

All in all, if you need good isolation, and want new cans, I'd suggest the HD280s.

des

Users who are viewing this thread

Back