starter desktop amp?
Feb 28, 2009 at 5:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

aragornmustdie

100+ Head-Fier
i read somewhere that a desktop amp will flat out defeat a portable amp in the same price range. ive been interested in buying an amp for a long time, but what i had in mind was portable amps. I just realised that i may be getting more benefit out of a desktop amp.
what's your recommendations for nice budget desktop amps? ive done some reading but seems that everybody's playing with the top dogs which cost even more than a lisa III.

Feb 28, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by aragornmustdie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i read somewhere that a desktop amp will flat out defeat a portable amp in the same price range. ive been interested in buying an amp for a long time, but what i had in mind was portable amps. I just realised that i may be getting more benefit out of a desktop amp.
what's your recommendations for nice budget desktop amps? ive done some reading but seems that everybody's playing with the top dogs which cost even more than a lisa III.

What is your price range? And are you interested in tubes or solid state?

Feb 28, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #3 of 10
A Stax SRM-1/MK2 Pro is a really nice starter headphone amplifier.
It don't cost an arm and a leg, but will bring you a long way sound wise.

...or be a bit more specific.
wink.gif

Feb 28, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #4 of 10
It would be hard to give an answer without:

1. The headphones you plan to use with the amplifier (including future interests)

2. Your sources (digital/analog, etc)

3. Your music preferences

Feb 28, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #5 of 10
aaah, im sorry

1. for now, ES7, but am saving up for D2000s (both bright sound sig?)

2. my source is going to be laptop and DAP (sony HD5). will not be considering DAC for the moment.

3. preferences would be a lot of classic rock and some jazz/ instrumental/ classical/ film scores. but being a desktop rig, i may give more time listening to the non-rock stuff as compared to my portable rig.

for the price range, i really have no idea where to start. probably 100 bucks. will it get me anywhere? oh and i am interested in solid state for now.

thanks in advance.

Feb 28, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #6 of 10
The Qinpu Q2 looks pretty good. I'm considering the Q1. At $59 shipped, there isn't much to lose.

Feb 28, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

aaah, im sorry

2. my source is going to be laptop and DAP (sony HD5). will not be considering DAC for the moment.

3. preferences would be a lot of classic rock and some jazz/ instrumental/ classical/ film scores. but being a desktop rig, i may give more time listening to the non-rock stuff as compared to my portable rig.

for the price range, i really have no idea where to start. probably 100 bucks. will it get me anywhere? oh and i am interested in solid state for now.

thanks in advance.

For now, I'd say you're better off saving that $100 and getting an amp later down the road.

Feb 28, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

aaah, im sorry

thanks in advance.

100 bucks is hard. The Little Dot 1+ is $99 and I've read a few impressions for HD650/600 users, so its good enough oomph to drive the 250ohm cans. Its a hybrid, but the $109 is only the product price, the shipping is an additional $40 or so. That's got some tubes to fiddle with if that interests you, I think it looks pretty sharp.

http://www.audiophilechina.com/cp-sh..._id2=2&s_id=24

So if that doesn't work, best bet is to save your $100 or go to a boutique audio shop and see if they got anything, so you don't have to pay the shipping.

Personally I think if you going for a desktop setup use your laptop, and get a combo, DAC/Amp so you can use the DAC later when you upgrade the Amp!

Some suggestions if you'd like.

Solid State: Audio-gd Compass
http://www.audio-gd.com/enweb/DAC-Compass.htm

Others have had good luck with the Firestone products: http://www.audiophileproducts.com/firestone
- If you get the Fubar ones, you can get Audio-gd HDAMs to replace the OpAmps!

Tubes: Dared MP5, this will sound lame, but I've read Head-Fiers getting them for very good prices, 300 range, but I haven't seen them at that price. Good luck!
6Moons Review: http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/dared/dared.html

Mar 1, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

thanks in advance.

Take your money to a pawn shop and try some integrated amps and/or recievers. I'm using a Kenwood KA-3500 I got for $5. (It needed a couple shots of deox-it to the volume and balance controls). It's a nice starter amp while I look around for something with tubes.
You can often find top brand, but low power equipment for very low prices, which is great if you're just needing it for headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back