Started with Denon D2000.....what should I get next?????
Jul 22, 2016 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bentwookiee

Head-Fier
I've had my Denon D2000's for a while now and I love them. I find them extremely comfortable and really enjoy the way they sound. But I'm thinking of trying some new or just plain upgrading. It's been a while since I've looked into getting new cans, so I'm looking for some advice.

I listen to a lot of folk/folk rock (ie: Avett Brothers, Lumineers, Vance Joy) and indie rock/pop (ie: Alt-J, Mother Mother, Bears Den). If I love the D2000's, what else should I be looking at that will have similar sound and comfort but are a big upgrade? I've always wanted to get D7000's, but is going from D2000 to D7000 worth it? Is there that much of a difference?

Please note: I will be using them at work, so closed cans are a must.

Thanks for your help everyone!!!!

NOTE: I am using an O2 DAC/amp (https://www.jdslabs.com/products/35/objective2-headphone-amplifier/)

Jul 22, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #2 of 8
Have you thought of just upgrading to a better DAC/amp, to use with the AH-D2000 headphones?

Jul 22, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #3 of 8
The difference between D5000 and D7000 is not very big. The difference going from D2000 and up to D5000 is worth it! My opinion is that the D5000 up to D7000 is not worth it, but if your wallet is big enough it may be worth it. I currently own the D5000 and have listened to D5000/D2000/D7000 in shops before. The D7000 has sort of a legendary status, that drives the prices up.

Jul 22, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #4 of 8
A new DAC/Amp is also an option.  I'm currently using an O2 (https://www.jdslabs.com/products/35/objective2-headphone-amplifier/) and I was previously using a mini3/gamma1 combo.

And after looking a little bit, I'm also now considering some Audio Technica W5000.  That could be a good complement to my Denon D2000.  But will my O2 drive the W5000, or the Denon D7000 for that matter?

Jul 22, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #5 of 8
Not sure I have an answer for you, but I too have Denon AH-D2000's, have had them for about 8 years now. I recently decided to try and improve them and did all the inexpensive mods I read about and felt comfortable doing. While detail has been improved the plastic cups are still holding it back and they are more fatiguing to listen to than originally. I planned to upgrade cups to Lawton wood ones, but the prices are rediculous .... cost more than brand new Fostex TH-X00's. And that got me thinking - it would actually be cheaper to actually just buy a new Fostex TH-X00 (the Denon's are rebadged older Fostex) than get wooden cups for the Denon/Fostex. So I put in for the Fostex TH-X00 Purplehearts earlier this year and am awaiting their delivery next month. The TH-X00 should be a noticeable improvement over the AH-D2000 based on everything I've read - will find out for sure soon. There is currently the TH-X00 Ebony wood edition being offered by MassDrop, which is who collaborated with Fostex to make the TH-X00 phones.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-fostex-th-x00-ebony-headphones

Fostex has the TH-600 headphones, but they are more expensive and generally considered to be not as good as the TH-X00's. You could find used, nearly new TH-X00 Mahogany editions for good prices and it seems for some crazy reason there will be quite a few getting the Purpleheart edition putting them up for sell once they receive them without even listening to them.

If not a Fostex/ Denon headphone maybe something like a BeyerDynamic T5P...but they are a bit more expensive...

Jul 23, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #6 of 8
What do you want to improve?
More bass, less bass, tighter bass, less treble, soundstage, more V- og U-shaped sound, or more balanced sound?
There can be many suggestions for 'upgrades', but if it does not take the sound in the direction you want, then it might not be an upgrade for you.

Jul 26, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #7 of 8
The current Ebony Fostex TH-X00 at Massdrop is really appealing to me.  I'm very tempted to join the drop.  I also went to check out what Lawton could do, and yikes....the prices for some of those cups are up there....but man are they beautiful!

I think my current plan is to pick up the Ebony TH-X00's from Massdrop (because I can get those for about the same price as new cups from Lawton Audio).  And if I ever want to continue to upgrade, I could go up to the TH-900's or slurge and get some nice new cups from Lawton.

Jul 28, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #8 of 8
Yup, bit the bullet and joined the TH-X00 Ebony drop.  Now the agonizing 3 month wait until it ships.  While I was at Massdrop, I also picked up this sweet stand: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/i-s-millworks-headphone-stands

Users who are viewing this thread

Back