started to mod sr325i's now.
Mar 4, 2009 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Wiggy Fuzz

100+ Head-Fier
after i removed the buttons (they popped off with a nail file) i saw a ridiculous amount of glue stuck underneath. picking at it didn't work, so i thought the only way would be to try and melt it off with a heat gun...

... only i didn't have one. nor a hair dryer, for that matter. so i thought i'd use my laptop - it gets pretty hot out of its vent while gaming, so i thought it'd do the trick. so i set my laptop on its side (the vents were located on the right hand side) and balanced one cup on the vent, hoping, in a best case scenario that the epoxy (couldn't be anything else) would become pliable enough for me to pull away, and in an even better case scenario, the epoxy would melt and get into my lappy's air vents so it'd break so i could get a new one with the insurance money.

anyway, after having diner for about 20 minutes neither of the above situations happened. so after reading a bit i decided on the hot water thing to pry the cups off.

did that, posted photo's, almost **** myself when i saw condensation on the drivers themselves, cursed to myself asking why i didn't try it with my sr80's first, and drew a sigh of relief when i was able to listen to my grado's (cupless) and they worked... quite well.

my cups sitting in a bowl of boiling water - thought i'd might as well remove the now discovered they are plastic lettering rings. sorry about the noise, low light image with camera phone.

my rather naked driver housings. gonna enjoy this mod when it's done.

if i just squeeze the cups back onto the housing without glue, will it hold fine?

Mar 4, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #3 of 17
i now want to remove the glue and paint from the grill, and the gold lettering ring. i like to post what i'm doing on forums, so i can go back and remember what it was i set out doing. i'm just like that. there was a time where i kept a log for my pc overclock on a forum as a topic, so i wouldn't forget and ruin things.

i'm also trying to resist the urge to spray paint the cups pink or something.

Mar 4, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #5 of 17
I did the same not 20 minutes after receiving mine. Haven't used any glue to put it together, just pressure fit. Have you successfully removed the plastic ring? Thinking of doing that as well.

Mar 4, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiggy Fuzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
did that, posted photo's, almost **** myself when i saw condensation on the drivers themselves, cursed to myself asking why i didn't try it with my sr80's first, and drew a sigh of relief when i was able to listen to my grado's (cupless) and they worked... quite well.

I hope you waited until moist evaporated. I once damaged a coil playing music through wet drivers.

Mar 4, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #7 of 17

i think they look rather handsome, now. i couldn't believe how easily the plastic rings came off. again, sorry for all that image noise. but now i've left a little mark by accident on one of the cups - forgot it was boiling water i used to soak them and dropped it onto my cold, hard, bike pedal.

now, maybe i should consider a re-cable: not for sound quality, but for durability and my sanity - cable gets so tangled up, i can't understand it...

... not something i want to try myself, though.

Mar 4, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #10 of 17
put one or both cups in water like i drew in my crudely drawn diagram (because pictures speak a thousand words) and leave it for a while - 5 mins should do.

stillsober.png

once that's done, what i did was use a pair of toenail clippers

FAM_TOE_NAIL_CLIPPER_3_14-5395.jpg

to pinch the letter "t" and yank it free. with mine, one ring was able to move freely in circles, the other was still a little stuck. anyway, yank the letter "t" because it does the least damage (i tried with "i", and broke it off).

Mar 4, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiggy Fuzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i'm also trying to resist the urge to spray paint the cups pink or something.

Yeh I've got a bunch of hd580 parts, I'm thinking about trying to get a mate to airbrush something cool on the headband

Mar 5, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #15 of 17
finally got the blasted glue off. there wasn't anything at the uni to take it off *apparently*, si i sat there picking off the blue with a compass. spend about an hour, before i thought "what the hell am i doing", and just got a heat gun and burned the rest off.

actually today before that i'd been listening to the grados without the mesh, and i have to say it sounded a little more lively than usual - quite nice, i'd have left the mesh off if i trusted other people enough to not use them as a basket for little paper balls - haven't tried them with my new silver grills (black paint burned off, too. grill is only black on one side, though), but now they look so retro. a little gold coloured in the middle where the glue caught fire, but a nice plus point is the mesh is kinda bulged outwards, which is nice. anyway, i'm considering sanding down the rings to the cobble effects till all the lettering is gone, then they'll go back in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back