Start up delay for tube heaters
Dec 20, 2009 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

les_garten

Headphoneus Supremus
How do you guys do a start up delay to allow tube heaters to be on for x amount of seconds before the amp lights up?

Keeping in mind that the Tube heaters are driven off the same transfo as the amp power supply and 250v secondaries are involved?

Dec 20, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #2 of 14
I'm interested in this circuit as well, but after much debating I'm settling on a manual delay.

Dec 20, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #3 of 14
The Manual "switched" warm-up comes on most Tube Lamda power supplies....I hope many of you DIYs are grabbing these excellent power supplies up before they're gone or out of reach $$$$wise....I've been lucky enough to become best friends with one of the premiere builders/repair dude in the midwest....Google him CHRIS IVAN Audio/amp repair.. I hope this rant isn't to far off your subject les_garten , Tube heater warm up is obvious very important........

Dec 21, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by 9pintube /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Manual "switched" warm-up comes on most Tube Lamda power supplies....I hope many of you DIYs are grabbing these excellent power supplies up before they're gone or out of reach $$$$wise....I've been lucky enough to become best friends with one of the premiere builders/repair dude in the midwest....Google him CHRIS IVAN Audio/amp repair.. I hope this rant isn't to far off your subject les_garten , Tube heater warm up is obvious very important........

A link would be good...

Dec 21, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #6 of 14
Dec 21, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #9 of 14
i assume you're concerned about cathode stripping? i wouldn't personally worry about it unless you're using expensive tubes. the easiest way would be to wire the heaters on a separate "stand-by" switch from the main power switch that will just power the heaters.

Dec 21, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by fishski13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i assume you're concerned about cathode stripping? i wouldn't personally worry about it unless you're using expensive tubes. the easiest way would be to wire the heaters on a separate "stand-by" switch from the main power switch that will just power the heaters.

That was for sure Plan B. This looks pretty sweet though. Also a no brainer for anyone who I might let use it. Another point of failure though, that's a consideration. The first implementation will be the eXStata, cheap tubes there. This is DIY though, so some is the fun of doing it.

Dec 21, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by fishski13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i assume you're concerned about cathode stripping? i wouldn't personally worry about it unless you're using expensive tubes.

Cathode stripping is a bit of a myth. It happens, but only at several thousand volts. Start up delays are a solution in search of a problem. But, if you must, why not just use a tube rectifier?

Dec 21, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cathode stripping is a bit of a myth. It happens, but only at several thousand volts. Start up delays are a solution in search of a problem. But, if you must, why not just use a tube rectifier?

i agree with this, but would probably sleep better if using expensive tubes
bigsmile_face.gif
. i wouldn't worry about uneven wear with DC heaters either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back