start me out, i need to rock to my choons.
Jul 24, 2006 at 10:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

melondramatic

New Head-Fier
dudes......

bit of research and a few coffees later....i'm as bright shiny squeaky new as they come to this headphone biz, i need some GOOD reliable decent cans. I want a pair of headphones that will play my indie/folk music to me like no other. i want to use em when im trekin on the tube, jettin off to the middle east and buzzin about my noisy london flat. i do not want ear buds, in ear whatsits or anythin i have to feed into my head.

i have found these that i am mullin ova:

AKG k 81
Grado SR60
Philips HP460

any clues dudes?

i like the sound of the SR60s but am not sure - are they heavy? are they portable?

at the moment i have a manky discman but am waiting for my lurverly creative zen to come through on my bday. whoop.

appreciate your says.

Jul 24, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #2 of 12
In noisy environments I'd really really want closed phones, besides that, the grado's are ok for portable use.
Haven't heard any of the mentioned headphones but I recommend the K81 or any other closed headphone with some isolation,

regards,
Bas

Jul 24, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #4 of 12
I like the way this guy talks
tongue.gif

I'd go k81 dj. Portable, isolate, cheap, fun to listen to

Jul 24, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #5 of 12
mucho thanks kids! Ace.....did some more r'search this aft and found them K81s floatin in space ready for me to latch me noggin onto...so whoop whoop and fantastico for your posts - confirmin my instinct (my very newly sprouted instinct).

just one pose - read alot that they are uncomfortable. any thoughts?

my one other slight reluctance - i am all about the retro. i am a retro fiend. sad but true. contrary to many the SR60 style groovs my funk and i am all about the WWII pilot image (!) but hey ho cos the K81s are smart. mayb i need to re-edify my swagger....!

p.s - this is a rippin forum. i enjoy your posts. Nice one!

p.p.s- apologies if my talk irritates anyone - occassionally get some folkie's jumpers ravelled ova their heads in a knott cos they think i am a gufaw. stick with it!
580smile.gif

Jul 24, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by melondramatic
mucho thanks kids! Ace.....did some more r'search this aft and found them K81s floatin in space ready for me to latch me noggin onto...so whoop whoop and fantastico for your posts - confirmin my instinct (my very newly sprouted instinct).

my one other slight reluctance - i am all about the retro. i am a retro fiend. sad but true. contrary to many the SR60 style groovs my funk and i am all about the WWII pilot image (!) but hey ho cos the K81s are smart. mayb i need to re-edify my swagger....!

p.p.s- apologies if my talk irritates anyone - occassionally get some folkie's jumpers ravelled ova their heads in a knott cos they think i am a gufaw. stick with it!
580smile.gif

WOW!!! I'm 20 miles outside of London and never met anyone that talks like you melondramatic
blink.gif
London must have some damn fine weed floating about at the moment
wink.gif

No offence intended m8 i like your posts,just need to get my head round this new language of yours
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by melondramatic

580smile.gif

The K81DJ's are somewhat uncomfortable until you bend the headband around a bit to weaken it out. After that, they're awesome. The earpads are more comfortable than the Grado bowls, but the SR-60s come with the comfies, and I haven't tried those.

Really though, you can't go wrong with the K81DJ or the SR-60. Both would work for you and are great headphones. The K81DJ's have the edge on isolation, but the Grados apparently have the edge on looks. Other than that, it's all about which sounds like it sounds better. Good luck!

P.S. - Keep posting. We need more accent around here.

Jul 24, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #8 of 12
SR-60 looks rock! The K81 are butt-ugly IMO but should sound good also. I would go with the SR-60s...

Did anyone already say 'sorry 'bout your wallet' ? No? Here you go
evil_smiley.gif

Cheers mate
Klaus

Jul 25, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty
I like the way this guy talks
tongue.gif

Same here. Would be cool to read a daily newspaper article with this style.

Jul 25, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #10 of 12
SR-60s are great cans, no doubt, but for a greater variety of music; perhaps you may wish to take a look at Alessandro MS-1s. They look exactly like SR-60s without the button. And like the SR-60s they are extreemly light weight and are also quite portable since the pads swivel and lie flat for packing.

For the WW2 pilot style(one of my favorite considerations!)ya outta take a look at the Grado RS-2! It and the RS-1, and the Alessandro MS-Pro, look REALLY WW2! Wooden housings, leather headband and all!!

Jul 25, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #11 of 12
Forget Grados. In the kinds of high noise environments you mentioned, you'll end up having to turn them up to deafening levels in order to drown out the ambient sounds. Not a good idea.

"I need a headphone, closed, not an IEM, that won't make me look like a dork when I go out in public." Requests such as this come up with some frequency. Problem is, there aren't any perfect solutions given your criteria, only compromises. If you're willing to look like a dork, try the K81s, or the A-T A900s (or 500s), or the Senn HD-25s. If you aren't willing, then I don't have a clue what to recommend.

Jul 25, 2006 at 8:08 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5
SR-60s are great cans, no doubt, but for a greater variety of music; perhaps you may wish to take a look at Alessandro MS-1s. They look exactly like SR-60s without the button. And like the SR-60s they are extreemly light weight and are also quite portable since the pads swivel and lie flat for packing.

For the WW2 pilot style(one of my favorite considerations!)ya outta take a look at the Grado RS-2! It and the RS-1, and the Alessandro MS-Pro, look REALLY WW2! Wooden housings, leather headband and all!!

mmmmm jubbly. these look style. i like 'em. good advice 'bout the grado's tho from folks - i am needin some cans for loud environments. chuggin about on the choob and flyin. not that i got wings.

Quote:

"I need a headphone, closed, not an IEM, that won't make me look like a dork when I go out in public." Requests such as this come up with some frequency. Problem is, there aren't any perfect solutions given your criteria, only compromises. If you're willing to look like a dork, try the K81s, or the A-T A900s (or 500s), or the Senn HD-25s. If you aren't willing, then I don't have a clue what to recommend.

dork dork eh? might hav to make that my new name. sacrifice for the sound. Grados are on the list for home use - when i am doopin about the home lands of my lounge.

appreciate the advice.

Quote:

WOW!!! I'm 20 miles outside of London and never met anyone that talks like you melondramatic London must have some damn fine weed floating about at the moment
No offence intended m8 i like your posts,just need to get my head round this new language of yours

join the brigades sunny. you n evry one else i neva met. keeps u on yer toes tho doesn' it?! an london has some damn fine air yer(!) but this is me kiddies, no floatin whatsum gonna change it. love it or leave it.

speakin of london tho - gotta get used to this heatwave microwave phase. i am meltin like a lolly in an oven. listenin to my happy choons tho and wiv the sun, ain't nothin better.
keep smiling sugar-pops!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back