Starfield vs ER2XR vs AKG K361 for commuting
Dec 28, 2020 at 12:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

marusanek52

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I'm looking for a new pair of headphones for my everyday commute (bus and train). I'm currently using the Blon bl03 plugged into the apple dongle dac. I listen mainly to classical (rather chamber than orchestral), jazz and electronic (in the style of Apparat, Olafur Arnalds, Nils Frahm). Should I just upgrade to a different IEM or maybe get a closed back? The k361 have been getting great reviews from what I've seen, as well as the ER2XR and Starfield. Compared to the Blons I'm looking for something more neutral and detailed.
Thanks!

Dec 28, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #3 of 8
My vote is for the ER2XR. If you are able to tolerate the deep insertion of multi-flange tips (it usually is just a matter of getting used to it at first, but some people cannot tolerate it), the isolation is incredible. If you cannot tolerate the multi-flange tips, you can use single flange tips, or the included foam tips.

The tuning of Etymotic IEMs is really quite neutral, and can suit all types of music. I prefer the XR variants, with a little, tasteful bass boost. I like the sound of the dynamic driver in the ER2 series a lot.

Dec 28, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #4 of 8
My vote is for the ER2XR. If you are able to tolerate the deep insertion of multi-flange tips (it usually is just a matter of getting used to it at first, but some people cannot tolerate it), the isolation is incredible. If you cannot tolerate the multi-flange tips, you can use single flange tips, or the included foam tips.

The tuning of Etymotic IEMs is really quite neutral, and can suit all types of music. I prefer the XR variants, with a little, tasteful bass boost. I like the sound of the dynamic driver in the ER2 series a lot.
Bass boost will help with ambient noise of the engines.

Jul 5, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #7 of 8
I love my ER2SE, though it sounds like a lot of people have trouble getting used to the deep fit. I find that if I have to take them in and out repeatedly they start to be a bit irritating (using the silicone tips). The other big downside is the very microphonic cable if you don't loop it over your ears and/or use the shirt clip.

Jul 5, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #8 of 8
I have the Ety 3XR and the Ety triple flanges aren't for me but the foams fit great, and boy do they provide isolation.

If you're in the US and you're going to get Etys, the Adorama deals are usually the best.

Here's the 3XR for $69
https://www.adorama.com/etyer3xr.html?sdtid=14948114&emailprice=t

If you put other model numbers in that formula, like the 2se, it's $49.
https://www.adorama.com/etyer2se.html?sdtid=14948114&emailprice=t

At the moment the 2xr is $99 -- no special deal -- so it's more expensive than the 3xr, but the deals sometimes change.

4XR and 4SR are both $129
https://www.adorama.com/etyer4xr.html?sdtid=14948114&emailprice=t

For classical and jazz you don't necessarily need the slightly pumped-up bass of the XR versions. Adorama takes returns if you don't destroy the package (about $11 to ship back with their label, cheaper than USPS). So you could try an SE/SR and an XR and see which tuning you prefer. Cut, don't rip their shrink-wrapped jiffy bags, and open carefully, because they can stick to the Ety cardboard outer sleeve and rip it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back