Starcraft 2
Aug 11, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #77 of 164

Quote:
LAN is a useless feature; this is the 21st century and everyone has access to the internet

hmmm i cant decide if i should assume your 12, just never actually played starcraft or maybe just have no real life friends.

Aug 11, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #78 of 164
Quote:

hmmm i cant decide if i should assume your 12, just never actually played starcraft or maybe just have no real life friends.

Why? Practically speaking, LAN play is a redundant feature these days. Every single person I know that plays multiplayer RTS at any level of competitiveness has broadband internet access at their residence. Playing against each other at any given residence is as simple as unpacking our rigs, hooking up to the wireless network, logging on Battle.net, and starting a game. There's a bit more lag than a pure LAN setup would incur, but nothing close to show stopping.

Aug 11, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #79 of 164
but given that it was essentially its LAN party fav status that kept the 300 year old original still in play till starcraft 2 came out, to me it seems a mistake to potentially pee off your most avid supporters. 

if anything goes wrong blizzard earn them selves a room full of hate when there was no need to

Aug 11, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #80 of 164
zero latency (expect monitor lag). think before you speak. at the pro level everything is played on lan (check out korea). 

Quote:
LAN is a useless feature; this is the 21st century and everyone has access to the internet

Aug 11, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #81 of 164
when u average 250 apm like the korean pros, 50-100 ms of delay matters.  I have about 150 without spamming but it still matters.  have you played recently on bnet?  There are so many spikes.

Quote:
Why? Practically speaking, LAN play is a redundant feature these days. Every single person I know that plays multiplayer RTS at any level of competitiveness has broadband internet access at their residence. Playing against each other at any given residence is as simple as unpacking our rigs, hooking up to the wireless network, logging on Battle.net, and starting a game. There's a bit more lag than a pure LAN setup would incur, but nothing close to show stopping.

Aug 11, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #82 of 164
I think LAN parties are more of interest for the younger hardcore gamers. The gaming industry concentrates on the employed casual gamers these days (which BTW have much more money to spend in comparison).

Marvin isn't completely wrong, LAN parties globally get more & more out of style, no matter how much effort is put into it by some korean highschool boys or the remaining joystick nerds from Berlin).
wink_face.gif

Aug 11, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #83 of 164

Quote:
but given that it was essentially its LAN party fav status that kept the 300 year old original still in play till starcraft 2 came out, to me it seems a mistake to potentially pee off your most avid supporters. 

if anything goes wrong blizzard earn them selves a room full of hate when there was no need to

Originally, yes, LAN was a necessary feature for SC1 because internet speed and access was very limited then. Today, however, it is not.

Quote:

actually no, I've been gaming competitively for a long time. If this were an FPS then yes, 30-50 ms vs. 5 ms is actually a very considerable and noticeable difference. Right now there are some growing pains with BNET 2.0 but that'll be settled fairly soon. So, once again, there is absolutely no use for LAN support when you take into consideration internet speed and infrastructure.

Quote:
zero latency (expect monitor lag). think before you speak. at the pro level everything is played on lan (check out korea). 

You should really think before you speak. Korea has some of the fastest internet speeds and their infrastructure is much more advanced than in, say, the US. Blizzard knows about the competitive scene and takes it very seriously, which is why there is a separate Korean server. In a country as small as Korea, and when you take into consideration internet speed along with separate servers, lag shouldn't be an issue. Show me some proof that there is considerable lag in the Korean server. Where are you getting this 50-100 ms number (again, in Korea, since you mention korean progamers' apm being hampered)

Also, APM is not anywhere NEAR as important in SC2 as it is in SC1. White-Ra himself said he doesn't need more than ~120 apm (he said this either in an interview on his fansite or day9 said it on one of his whitera dailies)

Aug 11, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #84 of 164
LOL you gaming competitively? dont kid yourself scrub.  Competitive gamers ALWAYS use the best possible setup such as the 2ms LCD's or even CRT's.  No player wants to deal with online lag no matter how minor it is and yes the the lag is around 50ms (when bnet isnt just spiking). 

I find it hilarious that someone reading head-fi is defending no LAN.  people here are bothered by a few picoseconds of jitter and can spend $1k+ on DACs. stop being ignorant; LAN is simply better than internet.

the real pros are still play sc1.  just wait til the koreans switch over to sc2 (lol idra is considered a top player right now even though he was known as 'the crappy white guy in korea').  just cuz the pathing/unit AI is better doesnt mean apm wont help. check out white-ra's stalker micro apm it spikes above 200.  I also see a lot more potential for helion micro.

Quote:

Originally, yes, LAN was a necessary feature for SC1 because internet speed and access was very limited then. Today, however, it is not.

actually no, I've been gaming competitively for a long time. If this were an FPS then yes, 30-50 ms vs. 5 ms is actually a very considerable and noticeable difference. Right now there are some growing pains with BNET 2.0 but that'll be settled fairly soon. So, once again, there is absolutely no use for LAN support when you take into consideration internet speed and infrastructure.

You should really think before you speak. Korea has some of the fastest internet speeds and their infrastructure is much more advanced than in, say, the US. Blizzard knows about the competitive scene and takes it very seriously, which is why there is a separate Korean server. In a country as small as Korea, and when you take into consideration internet speed along with separate servers, lag shouldn't be an issue. Show me some proof that there is considerable lag in the Korean server. Where are you getting this 50-100 ms number (again, in Korea, since you mention korean progamers' apm being hampered)

Also, APM is not anywhere NEAR as important in SC2 as it is in SC1. White-Ra himself said he doesn't need more than ~120 apm (he said this either in an interview on his fansite or day9 said it on one of his whitera dailies)

Aug 11, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #85 of 164
Regarding micro-transactions: I got some in City of Heroes/Villains.  All were purely cosmetic effects, giving no advantage in PvP. I can't say how I think about buying mappacks though. Shouldn't that be in the realm of user-created mods? NWN had both user created and official add-on content.

Aug 11, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #86 of 164
i was at Blizzcon 09 and they described it to be similar to the iphone app store.  Mapmakers will be able to make money for the more intricate maps (something like dota in wc3).  Im guessing they might take the Activision COD4 route and start charging for map packs in the future.

Aug 11, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #87 of 164

Quote:
LOL you gaming competitively? dont kid yourself scrub.  Competitive gamers ALWAYS use the best possible setup such as the 2ms LCD's or even CRT's.  No player wants to deal with online lag no matter how minor it is and yes the the lag is around 50ms (when bnet isnt just spiking). 

I find it hilarious that someone reading head-fi is defending no LAN.  people here are bothered by a few picoseconds of jitter and can spend $1k+ on DACs. stop being ignorant; LAN is simply better than internet.

the real pros are still play sc1.  just wait til the koreans switch over to sc2 (lol idra is considered a top player right now even though he was known as 'the crappy white guy in korea').  just cuz the pathing/unit AI is better doesnt mean apm wont help. check out white-ra's stalker micro apm it spikes above 200.  I also see a lot more potential for helion micro.

Talking out your ass and insisting that you are right doesn't make you right. You ignore everything I said then say HURF DURF ITS 50 MS LAG NOOB without any evidence. The fact that you're trying to compare LCD delay to internet latency issues shows just how clueless you are.

Aug 11, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #88 of 164
LCD response time and internet are both forms of latency.

Are you seriously questioning a 50ms estimate?  Btw this is 50ms estimate is when bnet is working ideally, ive had games where every player spikes every few sec.  I can feel the latency in wc3 ladder compared to lan and if you've ever hosted with listchecker you'll see the wc3 bnet latency hover around ~30-70ms on a decent connection.  Im assuming that the delay i feel in sc2 is about the same or worse (lot bigger community compared to wc3) and i play on low/medium settings when playing ladder even though I have a 4870 (I find the shiny-ness distractive).  Units in single player respond faster than units in ladder.

I cant believe someone is dumb enough to argue internet >= LAN.  Im done responding to you.

Aug 12, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #89 of 164
I have to agree with the majority here.  No LAN support is an EPIC FAIL for Blizzard.  I used to skip school to play the original back in the day at LAN parties (yes huge geek).  Now I am in Iraq where yes we do have internet, but it is extremely expensive ($150 for 512 maybe) and does not play well online.  Now when my friends want to play rather than being able to LAN we have to sign into B.NET and pray that the lag isn't that bad.  Now don't get me wrong it's not always bad. but still causes issues.  I hope with future updates they may find some way to incorporate LAN back into the game.  Anyone who says that this will not be a big deal for the pro players in Korea is wrong.  This can change the entire game where literally every ms counts.

Just my 2c

Aug 12, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #90 of 164
Completely OT, but take care of yourself down there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back