Star Wars Soundtrack: thoughts?
May 21, 2002 at 4:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

jlo mein

In some place that's not Canada ....the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
I just want to know people's thoughts on the new Star Wars ep 2 soundtrack...

personally i like it....very good....relates to the love theme....but also has good action tracks...

May 21, 2002 at 11:11 PM Post #3 of 16
does anyone have the exclusive version only available at k-mart or target or something?

It has a bonus track on it called "on the conveyor belt".....i have this in mp3 but it really sucks quality wise....

anyone have it???

May 22, 2002 at 1:55 AM Post #4 of 16
First of all, it does have a version of the imperial march in it,
secondly there's an older thread about this
score in the music forum, would be great if somebody could merge them

Bye

Redwoood

May 22, 2002 at 5:30 AM Post #5 of 16
sorry redwood...

anyway...ya i also noticed the imperial march theme in 2 tracks...i like this soundtrack A LOT now because its so different from the rest of the star wars soundtracks (fits with the movie), yet it also has lots of reminicient themes in it as well (ie: imperial march theme, uplifting jedi theme i forgot the name to)...

It combines old traditions with new ideas and concepts that i find extremely refreshing, AND it still SOUNDS like a star wars soundtrack...

does anyone have the version with the bonus track?

May 22, 2002 at 4:05 PM Post #6 of 16
I don't think you can get that version in Canada.
I've got the mp3 of course and it's one of the better
pieces on the CD.

I like this score, but I don't think it's as good as the other ones, including TPM. I'm a sucker for melody, and this is the least melodic SW score... still damn good though.
wink.gif

Bye

Redwoood

May 22, 2002 at 7:19 PM Post #7 of 16
Because of the stiff and cold personalities of the entire character base for this film, it is no wonder that the music is so different from the other 4 films. Disciplined Jedis, Cunning Politicians, Calculating Bounty Hunters, Homogenous Policing Army, Mindless Droids...that should tell the tale. Even the huge battles seemed so linear that a brand spanking new march would have almost seemed out of place. The exception would have to be the love theme (even though I felt that was a forced part of the movie) and of course...Anakin's mayhem moment, which had a rendition of the Dual of the Fates....

Let's just hope Mr. Williams lives long enough to compose the final piece to this poetic space opera.

May 24, 2002 at 5:19 AM Post #8 of 16
your right redwood the exclusive cd is US only....i was asking if any of our american friends had it.....

btw redwood: how good is the mp3 recording you have of the bonus track??? i downloaded the bonus track from winMX...but its not a very good encoding....

May 24, 2002 at 6:13 AM Post #9 of 16
1. I thought the Imperial March was very well treated in this soundtrack!

2. The transition into the credits is much better than in TPM, not to mention the one in the revised ROTJ soundtrack. The latter's awful Andean final track was probably theoretically impossible to merge with the end credit theme.

3. I really like the way the final minute of the AOTC soundtrack runs through all three Anakin themes. Very tragic.

May 31, 2002 at 12:59 AM Post #11 of 16
I actually enjoyed it much more than TPM soundtrack. I only have a copy of the Star Wars Trilogy soundtrack so I dont have any of the original 3. The love theme is a little repetitive but overall I still liked it. I loved the renditions of the Imperial March and Duel of the Fates. After listening to the original DoF I liked the one in AOTC much better, TPM rendition seemed a little too "broken", I have no idea how to explain it any other way. The music also helped the atmosphere much better than in TPM imo.

May 31, 2002 at 7:47 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

The love theme is a little repetitive but overall I still liked it.

My feeling, too. Maybe it has to do with the unusual (for a main Star Wars theme) waltz rhythm.

Quote:

I loved the renditions of the Imperial March and Duel of the Fates.

Yes! Williams' use of the DoF theme is especially fitting in the scenes where Anakin speeds through what looks like the pod-race course, except everything is tinged by an ominous sunset in the manner of the Darth Maul+spaceship scenes in TPM. I can't check this (don't have the TPM DVD), but I like to imagine Anakin riding backward through the pod-race course, regressing toward his younger rash and frustrated existence. OK, way too much analysis.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think of the two love themes, I like the Solo-Leia music better, but this could be because their chemistry was parsecs better. Don't know if you have that one on your Trilogy disc though, blueocp.

Jun 1, 2002 at 1:37 AM Post #14 of 16
i really liked the leia+han theme as well....very good accuracy to the type of mood of their relationship....

I think that the across the stars theme is equal.....also greatly portrays the mood of the relationship...

Jun 2, 2002 at 12:41 AM Post #15 of 16
I bought this last weekend after seeing EP2 for a second time. I guess I messed up because I didn't know there was an exclusive version at some stores and I bought my Yoda-cover version at Border's.

I have to admit that I was one of the people who not only was greatly disappointed in EP1 but also in its soundtrack. The dual track was awesome but the rest of the soundtrack seemed really derivative and unimaginative. My opinion on both the film and the soundtrack is a 180 on EP2. I really really dig it.

Zanth
Were your comments about something specific? Is there any reason I should be wondering whether Williams will be with us much longer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back