Star Wars Recommendations Needed
Jan 11, 2002 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

slindeman

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys!

I'm thinking about getting the Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back music soon, and would like some recommendations. The main four I am looking at are:

Star Wars Trilogy [Box]
4 disc set with the Original Motion Picture Soundtrack for each movie, plus a bonus disc

Star Wars, A New Hope: The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
London Symphony Orchestra with John Williams, 2 disc set

The Empire Strikes Back: The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
London Symphony Orchestra with John Williams, 2 disc set

The Empire Strikes Back: Symphonic Suite
National Philharmonic Orchestra with Charles Gerhardt

I realize that the orginal soundtracks fit on 1 cd (I had the Empire Strikes Back on LP when I was younger), but now with the re-release in 1997 they come with 2 discs each. I'm not so sure that I really want all of the extra filler. I recently bought the Indiana Jones re-release with a bunch of extra tracks on it and I think the soundtrack was much better without them. Most were not very interesting. I'd much rather have fewer strong tracks than something that is complete, costs more, and forces me to skip over 50% of the tracks out of boredom.

Also the symphonic suite grabs my interest, it may be better suited to listening than the original soundtrack, but I would like to hear any thoughts from those of you that have heard it. What about sound quality on these? I imagine the 1997 2-disc releases were remastered. Do they sound much better than the originals. What about the 1993 box set I list above. Was it remastered? Any help you guys could give me would be very much appreciated.

Some other interesting ones I found, and would appreciate any comments about are these:

The Star Wars Trilogy: Star Wars/The Empire Strikes Back/Return of the Jedi
Utah Symphony Orchestra recording of a few tracks from each movie

Star Wars; Empire Strikes Back; Return of the Jedi
Import of 2 disc 24bit Dolby surround sound from all 4 films by the Virtual Philharmonic Orchestra with Frank Westrus

John Williams Conducts John Williams: The Star Wars Trilogy
Lightwalker Symphony Orchestra with John Williams

John Williams Conducts Music From the Star Wars Trilogy (includes other movies too)
Boston Pops Orchestra with John Williams

The Star Wars Saga
Contains a few tracks from each of the 4 films, Hollywood Symphony Orchestra

Sketches on Star Wars [HDCD]
The Trotter Trio (Jazz interpretation of Star Wars tunes)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back