Stanton XXI
Sep 19, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #2 of 6
whoa.  just received a pair of these today. 
funky for sure.

A little grimey, but I guess that's to be expected in almost 40 years of dirt collecting. 
Foam internals of the ear pads has long deteriorated.  The nylon ear pieces pulled away (carefully / slowly) without tearing, so reloading them with new open cell material will be easy enough.  It looks as though a rubber cement type adhesive was used to secure the pads to the frames.  The slim drivers are loaded into an aluminum plate housing that's also stamped around the cable to provide strain relief.  There's not much venting on the rear side of the drivers.  I imagine that contributes to my perception of them having a slightly nasal & trebl'y disposition.  I probably won't mess with a re-cable.  Trying to back-vent the drivers would likely do more harm than good, and their shallow depth & plate mounted driver look to be problematic for reloading them with KSC components.  Best left alone to appreciate their 70's ness.  I would like to re-cover the headband with blue leather, though.

Haven't listened to any disco through them yet.  They might be perfect.  Bring on the BeeGees & polyester!

Sep 20, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #3 of 6
A few pics from re-building the ear pads:

Cut "grill cloth" from some leftover window screen.  The phones originally had material glued in place over the driver vents on the diaphragm side.

Here's the grill cloth glued in place.

I used shop vac foam to create new cushions to load into the pads.  It's cheap, spongy, and easy to cut.

Here are the pad covers ready to receive the new foam.

One pad in place & one letting the contact cement set up on the frame and back of the pad.

All buttoned up & ready for semi-occasional use. 

One line critique: They're not that comfortable, but at least they sound marginal. 

The frames are light enough, but the cups only pivot on the pins you see placed at 9:00 & 3:00.  They don't rotate slightly to align with the plane of your ears.
They're no match sonically for KSC's clipped into a simple PE headband.  Not sure of their ohm rating- they draw a little heavier on a portable amp to get volume comparable to Grado 125's at a given level.  So, despite their lack of performance compared to more modern phones, they're curiously cool.  My daughter calls them "Disco Fancy".  That's probably not a compliment, but oh well. .

Probably won't wear them too often since the pads aren't intended to be removed, so they can't be cleaned easily.  Might try to find a few ear-piece covers like kids get for institutional headphones so they're not sharing ear funk.   

Mar 14, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #4 of 6
I just snagged a pair of these off of eBay. The original ear pads are unfortunately toast - the fabric is no longer blue, and washing them gently by hand caused some of the fabric to... dissolve away. There are what looks like holes in the fabric now. There's a lattice there, but the fabric in the weave is gone.  I'm eventually going to try and reconstruct the fabric ear pads using some navy blue speaker grill cloth. But in the meantime, I found that ear pads from a Sony MDR-V150 almost fit. The stanton pads are 72mm, the Sony pads are 70mm. Close enough for now. I don't particularly love the Sony pads, as they're pleather and make my ears sweat. But they're better than no pads at all, and they make the headphones both usable and look nice too. I got the gray pads, which look nicer than the black or the white on these headphones, I think.

Here's a pic!

Charles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back