Stanton Dynaphase Seventyfive restoration
Aug 31, 2012 at 5:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

trondareo

New Head-Fier
Today a box arrived from Italy with a Stanton Dynaphase Seventyfive inside. It cost me $25 on Fleabay.
They look really imposing, with a stupidly large volume control box that has individual controls for right and left side plus tone, right and left side in case you hear bass only on one side
blink.gif
. More on that later, tho. First a picture is needed. Notice the nicely frayed wire - there are four or five of those.
Anyway, I will be finding new wire, cleaning them and taking a look inside in later posts.

Aug 31, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #3 of 9
Actually I have a headphone that is larger: Auditex Cat.No 30 5707 see thread  else were on the forum. But they are not as heavy. The Seventyfives are great for neck training!

Aug 31, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #5 of 9
ahh - I see what you mean!
beerchug.gif

By the way I have gotten some flexible blue Ethernet cable from a big local electronics store. They only had grey and white cat 5, but I told the guy what I was restoring and he dug around in the back office for me to find the cable, even walked me past the cash register saying its free for such a worthy cause!

Sep 3, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #6 of 9
I´m starting the restoration today. Mice had been gnawing the cable, you could see their little teeth marks, and some wires had been cut, so I need to replace the wire. After searching Ebay, and Mouser, I could not find curly stereo cable, much less in blue like the original, so I have ordered 3,5mm minijack socket to mount into the volume box. For the connection between headphones and volume box I have blue Cat5 ethernet cable the fits perfectly. The darker blue in the misscolored original in the picture below.

Opening the headphones involves pulling the pads of a flange, and unscrewing 4 screws from brittle plastic - take care. Someone had already broken on screw point on mine.

The inside reveals a second order filter for the tweeter, which is probably coaxial. The speakers are glued in to the front of the headphone, and I was happy to see that they seemed untampered.

To open the volume box you have to bend back the beltclip to get at the screw behind it. The clip is a snap fit and was probably mounted after the box was opened. This had kept pryning fingers from the inside of that box as well.

The dial wheels on the sides are pull of from splines on proper potensiometers You do not need to do this to open the box though..

Tone at the top volume at the bottom.

I do not have the experience to see how the tone filter is made.

For today I have cut 104 cm of the ethernet cable. I with drew the brown wire pair to make the cable even more pliable, and used orange for the old red, blue for old blue and green for old black. I carefully plied of the old retaining clip from the old cable and mounted it on the new cable. Now I have to wait a few days for my mini jack sockets to arrive, before I can continue. The last picture is of the new ethernet cables connecting the headphone to the volume box.

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #7 of 9
replace the caps in the headphones
trust me I have a set, also seal them up with something like blue tac

after that they sound almost as good as the sextett's

edit
BTW
there is not such thing as a "ethernet cable" ethernet is a protocol. do you mean cat5 or base T ?

Sep 14, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #8 of 9
Thats a good point about changing the caps. I'd have to do it to the tone controlls too then. I finished the cable exchange a few days ago. I am listening to them now deciding what to do next. There is some scratching on the potentiometers so I may change those as well as the capacitors. Depending on how they clear up from being used again.

I am curious were you placed the blue tack? Was it over the vents in front or inside the back?

You are absoulutely right about the cable. It was slang from my native language showing up in english. I used Cat5 and removed one twisted pair.

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #9 of 9
Thats a good point about changing the caps. I'd have to do it to the tone controlls too then. I finished the cable exchange a few days ago. I am listening to them now deciding what to do next. There is some scratching on the potentiometers so I may change those as well as the capacitors. Depending on how they clear up from being used again.
I am curious were you placed the blue tack? Was it over the vents in front or inside the back?

over the vents and on both sides, and all over the center inside them
it removed the sea shell like treble from them. :D

You are absoulutely right about the cable. It was slang from my native language showing up in english. I used Cat5 and removed one twisted pair.

happens to the best of us
my server+ teacher calls them Ethernet cables :p
I can see why so many do tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back