Standard Smile Eq?
Sep 25, 2006 at 3:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

neotim

New Head-Fier
Ok, so I have an interesting theory... I believe that many consumer sound devices (consumer sound cards, Ipods, etc.) have a built in "smile" eq to them to make the music/sound output more pleasing. Here's how I came up with my theory:

I currently have a Presonus Inspire, and I just sold an M-Audio Transit on Ebay. I sold the Transit because when I used it as my laptop soundcard (to listen to music using Itunes or WMP), the sound seemed weak with little bass. I would listen to the same song through my desktop computer with Audigy card, my laptop with standard dell audio, and my Ipod, and through each of those outputs, the sound was very similar.

When I plugged in the Transit and set Windows to play audio through it, the sound was very different for the same song. It wasn't necessarily bad, just with less bass. The Inspire sounds very similar to the Transit.

I believe that my Presonus Inspire, being a pro audio device, outputs my music as it should be, w/o any added eq. Do you guys/gals think that this might be true? Is there a built-in eq to many consumer devices (non-defeatable) to make them sound more "smile-like"?

Sep 26, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 5
I guess that's why my Sony DVP-S725D sounds so good when I listen to cds through the headphone output. I’m really a smile eq consumer (although I’m trying to change that) and when I use this DVP I don’t feel any need to push the treble or bass up (I can’t anyway) because it already sounds great.

Sep 27, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #4 of 5
I've measured a few devices through Rightmark Audio Analyser, so far all of my PCDP's measure flat (when the bass/dsp options are off) A philips minisystem measures terribly, it has 4 digital eq settings, none of them flat, or anywhere close. All the soundcards I've tested are more or less flat, save for a slight roll off of bass or treble past 16khz. on lower end cards.

Sep 27, 2006 at 8:55 AM Post #5 of 5
That maybe true of Sonys speakers/Hi-Fi units.All of my audio equipment including my PC setup,HT,portable and even the cheapo philips mini system measure dead flat in RMAA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back