Standard or maxxed Portaphile V2^2?
Mar 30, 2006 at 11:08 AM Post #16 of 19
Ive got an older Portaphile V2 (not ^2) with class A biasing and DC (i run it off an elpac) ... and i think it sounds damn good. At the price, i think its terrific value for money.

The other thing that shocked me was how small it is. It is fricken tiny...which is something that doesnt usually come up when ive read reviews on it. If my memory serves me correctly it is *almost* the same size as the Hornet, and it is really quite light as well.

As someone has already said, great price, great size and great sound, Id be amazed if you were disappointed upon purchasing one.

*disclaimer - ive found amps to change the sound in more subtle ways initially, and after a bit you realise how much better they make everything sound. Therefore if you expect to suddenly hear a massive, earth shattering difference when you first plug in the portaphile you may be disappointed!!!
tongue.gif

Mar 30, 2006 at 11:37 AM Post #17 of 19
I have the V2 *2 and am currently using it with my HD25-1 (70 ohm) and dej2000 (as well as some legacy md's
biggrin.gif
). My HD25-1 loves this amp straight from my PCDP and MD players line outs. I think the V2 (older version) is a sweet amp and you cannot go wrong with it if you can find it in the second hand market (not very often).

The current version? Sure it costs a bit (but have you compared apples with apples?), and it pays to get quality audio for a fraction less than comparable units. I'd say go for it (either versions).

Its all there:

Size
Enough grunt
Quality components

and price (putting it in perspective).

Apr 5, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #18 of 19
I'd just like to ask one more question before I actually buy this amp: Has a new Portaphile been announced yet? I read something about a V3 (but this could just be a typing mistake, of course).

Apr 6, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #19 of 19
No announcement of a new amp that Im aware of...

The portaphile will stand equal to the portables in the 300-350 bracket, its that good, value for money cant be beat...Stellar build quality, his soldering is robot like in its precision and tidyness, top quality components throughout. I showed the internals to an Audiophile friend who owns a 80k big rig (bel Canto, JM Lab utopia) and he was impressed with its build and sound quality.

You cant add the value of the elpac into the equation when comparing to other amps....the amp is $235...the elpac is an option, not absolutely necessary. I run without one, and get about 15-20 hours per alkaline with an Ipod and HF-1's. I have a wall wart but dont bother to use it most of the time.

It drives the Beyer's awesomely..I borrowed the DT 990's from a work collegue and loved their sound with the maxed portaphile v2^2. Huge headroom and drive capabilities with the double buffers.

Finally Cesar is a great guy, very accomodating in answering any questions you may have. top notch service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back