Standard CMOY have a cross-feed
Jun 5, 2003 at 4:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Leeco

100+ Head-Fier
I searched all around the forum and some people seem to say that CMOY has abuild in cross-feed. I believe it’s not the case. But here come the point of interest:
With CMOY it is more difficult to pinpoint the instruments than using headphone out of the PCDP (which should be of lower quality).
Does anyone know more about it? Was CMOY designed with cross-feed in mind or does it loose some of the music information indeed?

Any takers to explain this phenomenon?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 5, 2003 at 6:55 PM Post #2 of 11
The original CMoy layout does not include a crossfeed, but it is exceptionally easy to include one! Examples are the Linkwitz filter and the various Meier circuits, all available on the HeadWize libaries...

as for the detail thing, if possible use a line out from the PCDP, as the headphone output is designed for a very low output impedance, and this does not match the high input impedance of an amplifier, whereas a line out is better suited to a high impedance...

g

Jun 5, 2003 at 9:13 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Leeco
I searched all around the forum and some people seem to say that CMOY has abuild in cross-feed. I believe it’s not the case. But here come the point of interest:
With CMOY it is more difficult to pinpoint the instruments than using headphone out of the PCDP (which should be of lower quality).
Does anyone know more about it? Was CMOY designed with cross-feed in mind or does it loose some of the music information indeed?

Any takers to explain this phenomenon?
smily_headphones1.gif

How are you hooking up your CMOY? If you're running it straight from your headphone jack on said PCDP - there's really nothing to do but lose quality. A line-out from a qualiyt PCDP should yeild good results to your CMOY.

-dd3mon

Jun 5, 2003 at 10:06 PM Post #4 of 11
I am always listening CMOY through lineout. It would defeat the purpose to connect to headphone-out. I tested with different Technics and Kenwood PCDP.
The thing is that I really like overall quality of “lineout – CMOY - SR80” (and friend’s Senn HD-590), but “headphone out - SR80/HD590” is more precise when it comes to pinpointing the location of the instruments. Can it be the reason that “headphone out - SR80/HD590” also sounds brighter? I noticed a slight roll-off in high frequencies of my CMOY (which uses 2132PA opamp). Can those frequencies (or lack of them / opamp) be the reason?

Jun 7, 2003 at 11:49 AM Post #6 of 11
Thanks for your help, guzzler!
I am not sure how Caps look like... But here is a picture of inside of my amp:
blkpenguin2.JPG

The square braun things have "P104G, 50V" on them and black cilinder ones have "220uF, 35V".
I presume black ones are caps...

Jun 7, 2003 at 3:26 PM Post #7 of 11
The "P104G" are polypropylene caps with a value of 0.1µF/50v, those are input caps used to block DC from your source. The other caps you mention are electrolytic caps in the power supply, they store voltage.

Jun 8, 2003 at 1:18 AM Post #8 of 11
mm, you might want to increase the value of of the caps if you can fit into your altoids tin, and also you could try a second PP3 battery to see if this makes a difference, again dependent on space restraints...

g

man, typing when slightly drunk is a chore!

Jun 8, 2003 at 4:45 PM Post #10 of 11
Thanks guys!
I will look into those options.
The soundstage did improve a great deal after I put a fresh Lithium 9V battery in.

Jun 11, 2003 at 4:36 PM Post #11 of 11
Changing the black caps as suggested by guzzler will help in the transients because they store voltage.

Since adding a fresh battery helped out - I would second that suggestion about adding larger power supply capacitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back