Stamp collecting
Oct 14, 2007 at 10:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Herandu

Banned: Shares IP addresses with DC Lee StanleyB1
Anyone else share my hobby? I started a very long time ago, and now got them in boxes, bags, etc. I also have a couple of albums, where I keep my most priced possessions. My speciality is British Guiana, but I also collected a few of the British Empire definitives.
The most expensive stamps I got are from Bermuda and the Solomon Islands. I hope to thin down my collection though.

Oct 14, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #2 of 8
I only spend my money on things I can use and enjoy.

So food and clothes and the like are kept to a small budget.

Photography and audio right now, are consuming most of my money. (about 90%)

Oct 15, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #3 of 8
Unfortunately, I used to be very into stamp collecting, but I had to pack up all of my stuff and leave it in out attic in India. I haven't been too serious about it for 5-6 years now, but still hold onto the odd stamp (ever since e-mail, they don't show up in the mail quite as often as they used to). Never really had a country that was a favorite but I did always admire exceptionally odd stamps (I had a Korean stamp that was about 1/2" high but almost 2-3 inches long, and another from Russia that was nearly 2" by 3"). Also had a portfolio of never used, fresh of the print Japanese Stamps. I always felt that, at least when I started collecting about 15 years ago, stamp collecting was easier to get into than coin collecting. It seems to have gone the other way now.

Oct 16, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #4 of 8
I make a living going thru new and old files. Today, it included a file of mostly letters from the 1930's to the 1960's. In with the letters were a few envelopes, and two envelopes in a row had air mail stamps from the 1940's, the eight cent green ones with the Lockheed mailplane. Very nice - if I were a stamp collector, I would suffer!
blink.gif

Laz

Oct 16, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #5 of 8
I started off collecting anything in any state. But then I switched collecting mint, unused, never hinged or lightly hinged. Those are the expensive ones (but there are exceptions) My most expensive stamp is around U$1500 the last time I looked. My most expensive series is a toss up between the 1889-1907 British Guiana stamps and the Dutch Guiana 1931 series. Of course, all in unused condition with the gum still on it.
eBay is loaded with forgeries. I picked upon several 1st Day covers or envelopes alleged to have been sent from XYZ to XYZ. The writing on the front was the same, or/and the address waaaaay out.

Oct 18, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #8 of 8
As a child I was crazy about stamps. I learned an awful lot from this hobby and I recommend any parents to cultivate this hobby in their children. I have a big themetic collection of birds: six big albums.

Why did I stop? new hobbies, and the preception that post offices all over the world are cynically fleecing us collectors -- excessive number of releases; unrealistic denominations; irrelevant themes; cheaper printing resulting in poor definition and colors (I lament the near-extinction of engraving); horrid design. I still keep everything, but have long ceased adding to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back