Stairway to Heaven (1994 remaster) 5:35 distortion or blown drivers?
May 1, 2007 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Zodduska

1000+ Head-Fier
Does anyone have this track to test for me? I hear what sounds like blown speakers in both my E4 and 650 but only in this riff and several acoustic recordings, so i'm trying to figure out if its the recording or my gear..

most everything else sounds fantastic and does not distort at all, but I'm getting a little paranoid
redface.gif

The first night of burn in I was hooking up the HD650 to play pink noise with a frequency sweep, when I connected them to my Tomahawk I thought I had the volume all the way down.. well the amp was up side down and in fact I had turned the volume all the way up, scary
frown.gif

thanks very much in advance if anyone is able to check this for me.
600smile.gif

edit: just tested it on my Klipsch 5.1 Ultra and it makes the same buzzing sound there, all these drivers cant be blown lol; great sounding track otherwise. If anyone else wants to make themselves paranoid about blown drivers, go ahead and give it a listen
wink.gif

May 1, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #2 of 15
Same here ... sounds a lot like the distortion/whatever on Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody. Wonder if the same guy did the remaster...

May 1, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #3 of 15
right on, I hear it there too. thanks for checking it out!
580smile.gif

just wanted to add that I think I hear a bit in Tool's 10,000 Days, the first two tracks.. there is a ton of distortion in the guitar, I think in this case its just that the brain picks out the certain distortions and associates them with the sounds we recognize as blown speakers.. that or its just mixed too "hot". I dont know much about recording.

May 2, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #4 of 15
Yeah, it's definitely there in mine too.

I know the paranoid felling about the cans- for me with MS-1s, it's usually just a hair on the driver, but it's still scary.

May 2, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ikrit42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, it's definitely there in mine too.

I know the paranoid felling about the cans- for me with MS-1s, it's usually just a hair on the driver, but it's still scary.

i get that all the time. i have to suck on the driver really hard, and it makes tons of poppy cracky noises so i get scared and stop... yeah, i know this post won't help my chances in the fs forum.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 2, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same here ... sounds a lot like the distortion/whatever on Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody. Wonder if the same guy did the remaster...

The sad part is that even on 'A Night at the Opera' for MFSL, the distortion on Bohemian Rhapsody is still there.

Makes me a sad mule that such a masterpiece was screwed over.
frown.gif

May 2, 2007 at 4:53 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i get that all the time. i have to suck on the driver really hard, and it makes tons of poppy cracky noises so i get scared and stop... yeah, i know this post won't help my chances in the fs forum.
smily_headphones1.gif

actually, im quite interested in this 'hairy driver' mod... i'd rather not spend the time [which for me is money] on growing hair... how much are these mods going for?

Jun 2, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sad part is that even on 'A Night at the Opera' for MFSL, the distortion on Bohemian Rhapsody is still there.

Makes me a sad mule that such a masterpiece was screwed over.
frown.gif

Yup! And it is also on the Steve Hoffman DCC Gold disc. Supposedly the distortion is due to so many dubs. The master tape was almost ruined because of that.
frown.gif

Anyway, I think the Steve Hoffman version is the one you want to get. It's the best one IMHO.

Nov 1, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #12 of 15
I just heard this and freaked out myself...But I tested it with the same results on my E2s....You would think that they could have re-mastered that out or something. Good to hear it is the recording. It also sounds like the tape is stretched I always thought is was because my cassette had been in the sun but it sounds the same on the cd.

Nov 1, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #13 of 15
Sounds pretty similar to the inner-groove distortion on a vinyl record with a poor stylus. Chalk it up to the recording method, as others have said.

On newer albums with this sort of sound, what you're hearing is almost certainly digital clipping (or "overs"), where the absolute maximum volume has been exceeded and therefore clipped off, resulting in similar audible distortion.

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #14 of 15
bumping an ancient thread to say that I was freaked out when I heard this listening to Bohemian Rhapsody, thinking that my TF10's were blown, but it's doing the same thing out of my HD558's.  Whew!

Dec 15, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #15 of 15
I also noticed it in my Sony MDR V6... great catch!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back