Stairmaster is the most intense workout
Oct 5, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #16 of 60
Quote:

I read that if you walk up the stairs for 1 hour, you will burn about 1100 calories.

you stopped reading before the part that said your legs would fall off too =P

I cant remember who, but some famous tennis player used to get the highest room he could get in hotels adn run up adn down the stairs for exercise.

Oct 5, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #17 of 60
I challenge you young guys to get on an old Airdyne exercise machine and take it up to 100 rpms or more if you can and then tell me what you think! I am recovering by six months heart surgery and I am just now doing 30 minutes on my Airdyne at around level 3.5 which is right at 62-63 rpms. I am not supposed to do more. By the way I do a 10 minute warmup stepping up to that level and another 10 minute cooldown on the machine.

Oct 6, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #18 of 60
Wayne, that Versaclimber looks wicked. I'm looking at the "Tabata Protocol" right now and thinking this would kick my ass hard - fast or more leisurely, but that can only be a good thing. Looks like they can be had used for decent prices, too.

Apr 24, 2009 at 7:22 AM Post #22 of 60
I'm 40.

Back in 2000, I had difficulties even climbing regular day-to-day stairs due to knee pain.

I started to train using this thread's main topic challenge, that is 30min on the stairmaster. First I had to put on tapes around my knees to keep some of the pain away.

Now, roughly 9 years after, I still do this challenge. I can climb normal life stairs 2 by 2, I can even squat now (it's new from this year). My routine is very simple, 30 min flat out (anaerobic threshold zone) (hr ~ 170bpm). I loose a kilo a sweet per workout roughly.

To me, stair master allows me for 30 min of dancing. I wear an iPod and ONLY listen to music that provides me with a steady tempo. I then just follow the beat in synch with the music. My play lists are sorted according the the level of intensity I want to reach, Jazzy stuff first ending up with ACDC and Metallica.

It is so fun that even during the summer when I prefer cycling, I still allow myself to train (read dance) indoor listening to my favorite music.

And finally, as a bonus, stair master prepares for decent cycling performances very early in the summer. Although the range of motion is more limited than that of pedaling, the muscle groups and angles involved are quite close especially when you stay proud, don't cheat, remain in an "upright laidback position" holding the front handles for the whole distance
happy_face1.gif
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 24, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #25 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm confused. Will this help me with my current condition - my virginity growing back?

Why would you want that?

Anyway, most cardio exercises bore me to hell at the gym. Even doing interval sprints on the bike, tradmill or X-trainer bore me get a bit boring after a while.

Apr 24, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #26 of 60
Jee, em'I on a headphone discussion Forum?

Funny because I'm having an issue with my iPod's earphones set.

When my sweet reaches the inside of my ear, I loose sound on this side ( and usually forced to quit my workout ).

I was about to purchase a Headphone set at The Source. But they didn't allow me to try prior purchase.

Anyone can recommend something? Price tag around $40.00 US.

Thanks

Apr 24, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #28 of 60
@SolarEnergy, this is the member's lounge, for general discussion. To answer your question, try doing some reading in one of the headphone gear forums, and welcome to head-fi!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #29 of 60
@ Solarenergy: there are many different waterproof headphones that would probably be good if your problem truly is the sweat getting into the phones.

@ topic: there is no chance that Stairmaster beats out rowing as being the best workout. Rowing works the whole body and can get you in ridiculous shape allround as well (check the Olympic or university/college crews). Of course, it is more effective the harder you manage to push yourself to work at it.
biggrin.gif

Apr 25, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #30 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ topic: ... Rowing works the whole body and can get you in ridiculous shape allround as well (check the Olympic or university/college crews). Of course, it is more effective the harder you manage to push yourself to work at it.
biggrin.gif

I just started rowing at cardio rehab...it is a great workout using the Concept 2 machine. You are right in it being a complete whole body workout. You also have to get your breathing just right or your body works against you. It would have helped me if I had done some serious rowing when I was younger. I have bad form right now, only three turns so far. It is kicking me hard after 30 minutes on the treadmill and then 30 minutes on the airdyne.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back