Stacking audio components, placing on floor stand?
Oct 25, 2013 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

shuttleboi

100+ Head-Fier
I am thinking of getting into some high-end stereo components. I have some questions:

1. Is it ok to stack 3 components on top of each other? Would there be any problems with heating, interference, etc.?

2. I would like to keep these components next to my computer desk, so I'm wondering if there would any problems with stacking them on an amp floor stand? My work area is carpet. Would there be problems with dust? Would I be better off with a cabinet? Below is an example picture from Vincent Audio, and it shows the kind of setup I'd like to put together (components stacked on a floor stand, but on carpet).

Oct 25, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #2 of 4
You shouldn't have to worry about dust too much, the only moving components are going to be in the cd player really (volume knob on preamp too I guess).

As to stacking them like that, I have always kept the amplifier on it's own shelf, but I've always had equipment with a high class A bias (I have measured almost 190 degree F on the cooling fins of my current amp). You could always ask the manufacturer if you need to be sure.

Nov 1, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #3 of 4
With carpet I've found using a rack with spiked feet digs into the carpet to the concrete below provides a stronger and more level base for the rack and due to small pointy footprint it probably won't leave any damage in your carpet.

Nov 1, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #4 of 4
Usually there are vents cut into the bottom of the chassis for an amp, so if placing the amp on the bottom of the stack, I would make sure it has ground clearance. If the stacked components are freestanding (i.e not in some sort of enclosure), you're probably ok. Sometimes, an amp will place itself on standby or mute output if overheating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back