Stacking Amps?
Sep 17, 2007 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jesselussier

100+ Head-Fier
What would be the result of stacking two or three small portable amps, like cMoy's? Would you be able to drive higher energy phones (like HD650's), better than using just one small portable amp?

OR, is this just a stupid question?

Thanks

Sep 17, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #2 of 8
It doesnt work like that, thats a bit like having ten people pushing a man trying to push a house, the energy just gets messed up in transmission. The resultant sound would just be more distorted because of the multiple gain levels. At least, this is how I understand it.

Sep 17, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #3 of 8
I would assume that the first amp in a two-amp chain would act as a pre-amp, thus overdriving the signal like a guitar amp.

Of course I made all that up, but it sounds right to me...

GAD

Sep 17, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #4 of 8
I have no idea and i just want to boost my post count...
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 17, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesselussier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What would be the result of stacking two or three small portable amps, like cMoy's? Would you be able to drive higher energy phones (like HD650's), better than using just one small portable amp?

OR, is this just a stupid question?

Thanks

Putting the amps in a serial configuration would increase gain at the cost of noise. There would be no gain in voltage limits or current drive capability compared to one Cmoy.

Assuming you're using custom cables though, you could increase drive capability by using more than one Cmoy. If you bridged them you could increase voltage swing. If you paralleled them, you could increase current drive. Doing both is also possible with four or more Cmoys, but I'm not too sure any of these configurations are worthwhile from a SQ or cost-effectiveness standpoint.

Sep 17, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #6 of 8
i linked 2 identical cmoys together and ran one pair of grados off them too see if it could emulate an aperhead type gig, it sounded ok to me, but nothing majorly different, i had to hand balance each volume dial to get an equal proportion of volume to the L-R channels.

not really worth it as i only had crappy quality long runs of cable/splitters to play with at the time.

Sep 17, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Putting the amps in a serial configuration would increase gain at the cost of noise.

This reminds me of some of the guitarists I've worked with over the years. Running their signal through 8 different little crappy boxes. You'd think their guitar only produced a 6o cycle hum and no guitar sound!
basshead.gif

Sep 17, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #8 of 8
the voltage gain is cumulative but the signal will clip at the lowest clipping point in the chain.

if you need more gain, adjust the amp to give you more gain.

The current load would fall entirely on the last amp in the chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back