ST vs. STX
Mar 21, 2010 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

zotjen

Headphoneus Supremus
I know this has been discussed but I don't think I've found a definitive answer, maybe because there isn't one. I'm currently looking to get either the ST or STX. I don't need the add-on surround sound board so that feature of the ST isn't important to me. I know the clock on the ST is supposedly different but I don't recall reading where it makes an improvement over the STX. I know at least one poster felt that the treble was harsher on the STX and some opined that the ST sounds different from the STX but not necessarily better. From what I gather though, some do prefer the ST over the STX. Any thoughts?

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #2 of 7
my understanding is both cards have a fairly similar audio amplification structure, apart from the clock management where the ST has better jitter control. Whether this influences the sound significantly or not i do not know.
Another important point is the interface used. If you are the kind of guy to keep your good hardware for long, PCI non express might be problematic in the future, up to you to figure out...

Mar 22, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #3 of 7
The impressions thread doesn't seem to distinguish between the two much as far as sound quality is concerned. They are pretty much the same thing other then the st is for legacy PCI slots and the stx pci-express. I am trying to decide on this at the moment too, and I am about to go with the stx. PCI support may eventually fade away on modern motherboards like the floppy. I would have gone with the ST if the surround sound add-on was included, but it looks that will be sold separately and can be used with the stx as well.

Mar 22, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ManuLM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe the daughter board can only be used with the ST, not the STX

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The H6 daughter board can only be used on the Essence ST. Not the STX as there is no pin header and it was never designed for surround sound audio.

hmm in that case maybe I should reconsider.. I think I will still be going with the stx for pci-e and use my onboard surround sound. I don't use surround sound that much anyway. Thanks for the info.

Mar 22, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by FDS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm in that case maybe I should reconsider.. I think I will still be going with the stx for pci-e and use my onboard surround sound. I don't use surround sound that much anyway. Thanks for the info.

You still have surround support with the STX but it is only through digital output so you need a receiver or digital speaker system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back