St. Vincent - Marry Me
Jul 29, 2007 at 4:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

infinitesymphony

Headphoneus Supremus
The Pitchfork review had me intrigued, so I checked out this album. I can see a lot of people from this forum really, really getting into it.

St. Vincent is Sufjan Stevens / John Vanderslice / Polyphonic Spree collaborator Annie Clark. She's only 23, but her musical vision seems fairly clear. Marry Me is the sort of album someone like Joni Mitchell might put out if she were new to the current scene. Imagine all of the young female singers you can think of, but without so much of the faux-naivete often on display.

While it may not break new ground, this is one of those albums that combines bits and pieces from many genres of music that you may have heard before, and in their summation, creates something new. There are pervasive jazz and classical influences running underneath many of the tracks, which is quite refreshing given the current girl-rock trend. It's a light-feeling album with some surprises. I think this might be a grower for some people, so give it a little chance to sink in.

She also plays most of the instruments.
biggrin.gif

photo2.jpg

Jul 29, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #2 of 7
She opened for Arcade Fire in Vancouver... She was pretty good, I shall check out her album.

Jul 29, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #3 of 7
Grower indeed. First listen I was pretty bored but it has some very cool moments strung together into a solid album overall. I don't see this one making my all time top favorites or anything but I'll enjoy it and be expecting great things from her in the future.

Sep 12, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 7
Marry Me is great! Actor, her follow-up album, is amazing! Anyone interested in her should definitely check out this album. Can't wait for her next album
L3000.gif

Sep 17, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
She tends to be formulaic in some songs, but all in all a great album.

I think there is tendency to be "formulaic" in pop songs. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back