SSMH TOO LOUD!!
Jan 23, 2010 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

mgrewe

100+ Head-Fier
I just finished my SSMH and I love it, but my Denon D2000 are so sensitive that the pot only turns a few degrees and it is at my listening volume. The problem I have is that the sound in my HP are faded to my right ear. When I turn the pot more the problem goes away, also this isn't an issue with my AKG's because I turn the volume knob far enough to get the left and right channel balanced. Is there something I can do to fix this problem?

Also, my white RCA jack is a little touch and go. I have to get it in the "sweet spot" for it to work right. It's not too big of a deal, but anyone has any ideas to fix it beside getting a new jack that would be awesome.

Thanks

Jan 23, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #5 of 29
Increasing the value of the input resistor is what you're looking to do. Those are R16/R17 on the PCB schematic here. Usually you would use 50k so you should try the 100k resistors. Does this happen with all your sources (MP3 player, computer, etc)?

Is the jack physically loose, or does it just not work right depending on how to turn it? If it's physically loose (doesn't hold the RCA plug) you might need a new jack - you could try crimping the plug or jack to get a tighter fit, but don't ruin them. If it's not loose but still isn't making good contact, I'd check your soldering.

[EDIT] gore.rubicon beat me to it, yes those are R16/17

Jan 23, 2010 at 5:55 AM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juaquin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Increasing the value of the input resistor is what you're looking to do. Those are R16/R17 on the PCB schematic here. Usually you would use 50k so you should try the 100k resistors. Does this happen with all your sources (MP3 player, computer, etc)?

Is the jack physically loose, or does it just not work right depending on how to turn it? If it's physically loose (doesn't hold the RCA plug) you might need a new jack - you could try crimping the plug or jack to get a tighter fit, but don't ruin them. If it's not loose but still isn't making good contact, I'd check your soldering.

[EDIT] gore.rubicon beat me to it, yes those are R16/17

I did my SSMH p2p so the input resistors are different if anyone could help there. I have it hooked up to my CD player and only that until I get a DAC, then i'll use er with my computer.

The RCA jack is tight, the soldering is all good (triple checked). I've tried it with two different cables and the same thing is happenin. I still have it working so unless it takes a sudden turn for the worse, I'll not try crimping the connection. Thanks for the help though.

Jan 23, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by mgrewe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did my SSMH p2p so the input resistors are different if anyone could help there.

Well, these will need to be the same value resistor for both channels (and of higher value). Do you know what you have for R16 and R17 for each channel? That will help narrow the problem down.

Jan 23, 2010 at 6:32 AM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhjazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, these will need to be the same value resistor for both channels (and of higher value). Do you know what you have for R16 and R17 for each channel? That will help narrow the problem down.

There are only 13 resistors in the p2p version. Here is a schematic.

Starving Student hybrid

Jan 23, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #9 of 29
Put the resistors in the line from the input J2 to pin 1 of the pot and from J3 to pin 4 of the pot, thats using your schematic

cheers
FRED

Jan 23, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #10 of 29
Ah, yes, the p2p schematic you're using doesn't have input resistors. As the name implies, you simply put them at the input, between the source input and the pot. I would try using 50k first. Be sure to use high quality resistors as they will be directly in the signal path.

[EDIT] And once again beaten to the punch. I give up!
tongue.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 7:25 AM Post #11 of 29
Jan 23, 2010 at 7:28 AM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred_fred2004 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My wife says I'm quick :)

I don't know that you should be so proud of that.
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred_fred2004 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Put the resistors in the line from the input J2 to pin 1 of the pot and from J3 to pin 4 of the pot, thats using your schematic

cheers
FRED

Thanks a bunch.

Does anyone know of a store to get resistors cause I really don't want to drop a few bucks for shipping on a $.12 resistor.

Jan 23, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by mgrewe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks a bunch.

Does anyone know of a store to get resistors cause I really don't want to drop a few bucks for shipping on a $.12 resistor.

Go to Radio Shack. You should be able to find some metal-film or carbon-film resistors that are the ratings you need. You might want to try both, though, because they may impact the sound quality (Radio Shack doesn't have the best of resistors).

Jan 23, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #15 of 29
Yeah, RadioShack sells a pack of metal-film resistors that are pretty acceptable quality - they're recommended for the cMoy build so they should be ok here. Unfortunately there is not 50k but only 100k in it - fortunately, there are 4 100k so you can take two of them in parallel to get 50k if you want to get creative. Then if it turn out you actually need 100k input resistance to get the volume down, just snip off one resistor from each pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back