ss kit for beginner
Jan 4, 2010 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

hipcat

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I just brought a pair of denon d5000's and was told they pair better with
ss amps than with tube amps. I have a LD MKIII and thought I might next get a ss amp so I would have both. I've made a cmoy amp and a simple crossfeed.
I can't read a schematic but I can fallow a printed circuit board and pictures.
Is there a good 0 to 200$ ss amp kit that a beginner like me could build.
Thanks ahead for any advice.
Hipcat

Jan 4, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #2 of 8
I have some denon d2000's and I find they don't NEED an amp; they are so efficient.

I would doubt that they are AT ALL hard to drive. no reason why your existing amp won't work well.

stop listening to so-called experts
wink.gif

Jan 4, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 8
It's been my experience here at head-fi that once you hit the home page it's best to scroll all the way to the bottom forums to find people who actually know about electronic stuff.

If you hit the forums near the top you run into a lot of college educated punks who don't know ****, people who believe in magic and chameleon sales managers. There is a sprinkling of knowledgeable people who also mostly hang out at the lower forums.

Jan 4, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #5 of 8
I haven't heard either the amp or the headphones but I have read that the M^3 works pretty good. (Not to be mistaken for the Mini^3)

Jan 4, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #6 of 8
If the person telling you that you need an amp is trying to sell you and amp, then doubt the advice.

I don't know the phones, but there is some quite good in-expensive amps out there. Pimeta, PPAv2, Carrie, Mini^3.

Jan 4, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #7 of 8
no matter WHAT you build/buy, use a low gain setting. like I said, those are efficient phones and when I run gain=5 on my b22 or m3, its *still* too much gain (too much hiss). if you hear too much hiss on a good amp, you know the gain is too high.

too high is not a sin. its not a bad design. but its a wrong match for very efficient phones.

pick something less than 5 (3, maybe?).

you could probably also get by with a jisbos at unity gain and have it be a buffer, only (again, I'm not sure d2000/5000 needs a lot of gain; and only a little bit of buffer/drive).

Jan 5, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #8 of 8
On a different note, suck it up and spend 15 minutes learning how to read a circuit diagram. It will help you a lot if you choose to make anything mroe complex than a CMOY. Also, learn basic circuit formulae (an hour, max). they are invaluable for troubleshooting and whatnot.

-Nkk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back