SS head amp with loop through?
Apr 15, 2010 at 7:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

markm1111

100+ Head-Fier
Hi

I currently have a CIAudio VHP-2 and Vac-1 psu to drive my AKG K702's. I am looking for a change in the solid state space, but am having trouble finding what I am after.

Before people shout "why not toobs?", I intend to purchase a Decware CSP-2 to drive my HD650's.

My problem is, due to the constraints of my setup, I need an amp with a loop through so that I can cable in an integrated amp to drive my speakers. The integrated doesn't have a tape loop out, so the head amp can't be at the end of the chain. I don't want full pre amp functionality as you have to stuff around with two volume controls etc. If a pre amp could be locked on full output (similar to the Bel Canto Dac 3 etc) it would be ok too.

At this stage all I have found is the Talisman T-3H and T-35H, both as rare as unicorns and the manufacturer doesn't answer emails - btw I am in Oz so needs to be capable of 240v

So, any suggestions on a step up from the VHP-2 that has the loop through?

Thanks in advance

Apr 15, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #2 of 11
Heed Canamp has that loop out. And it can drive k702 well.

Apr 15, 2010 at 7:38 AM Post #3 of 11
A step up? hhmmm... a lot of amps have a loop out. Off the top of my head... an definite SS upgrade... VHP2 is supposed to be pretty good but might want to look into the Headamp GS-1, Luxman P200 and P1u (I've seen 220V for HK, but maybe not in Aus), Grace m902, most of the Audio GDs... Most people don't think a voltage converter impacts SQ anyways.

Apr 15, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #5 of 11
I thought the Audio GD's were all pre-amp outs, rather than straight pass through. I'd definitely be interested in them if it possible.

I will alos look into the GS-1 - that's one I haven't heard about before

Cheers, and more welcome

Apr 15, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by markm1111 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the Audio GD's were all pre-amp outs, rather than straight pass through. I'd definitely be interested in them if it possible.

Right, my bad :facepalm: But the Phoenix apparently remembers the volume levels of each input after shutdown, not sure if that's useful to you.

Quote:

I will alos look into the GS-1 - that's one I haven't heard about before

It's a classic that's been around. Also look out for DIY amps, maybe secondhand, and check the Headroom amps too - I think their description say "line out" but that was a cursory reading on my part.

Apr 15, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #7 of 11
Keep in mind a loop out on just about every amp I have seen is just a splitter on the input with the exception of amps that have a source selector in which case it has the input switched to the loop out.

So with that in mind if you do not have a switched input on the headphone amp then just get a splitter and choose the amp you like best.

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #9 of 11
Is it really that simple? So when an amp has a loop through, it literally just splits off the input signal and wires it back into an output connector?

Would thre by any signal degradation using an external; splitter? Any particular recommendations on one - thnik best quality.

Finally, I am really liking the look and comments on the the Audio GD Roc. I have emailed Kingwa, but am having alittle difficulty in getting across what I want.

If you look at the rear of the Roc, Iwould want to remove the ACSS input (unlikely to ever use it). I would want to change that to a RCA input. I would then like a loop from both the RCA and balanced inputs wired into the orginal rca input as the loop output. SOund feasible? Or is there an issue having both the rca and balnced inputs looped together? Would I need some kind of switch?

Sorry for all the questions?

Apr 16, 2010 at 11:47 AM Post #10 of 11
Yep - what would you expect it to do with the signal? You do not want volume control.

Now with AV receivers it gets more complex because they have DACs and such, but a basic amp that is it.

Apr 16, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

I would then like a loop from both the RCA and balanced inputs wired into the orginal rca input as the loop output. SOund feasible? Or is there an issue having both the rca and balnced inputs looped together? Would I need some kind of switch?

Well in order to loop the balance input into an unbalanced output you would need a converter to make the balanced input unbalanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back